• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4t533-c + 2.0a won't do more than 115fsb??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
heya ppl, i've been a long time reader, but never really had to post b4, as my previous AMD systems were easier than my ex-girlfriend.

but now i got (for free no less :) ) a p4t533-c, a gig of pc800 (samsung), 2.0a p4....

oh, i also have a 1.8 (non-northwood).

i was wondering, should i run the 1.8 or the 2.0? neither chip will let me get past 115 fsb. i can get the 1.8 to run @ 2.06, and the 2.0 @ 2.3, but i want more.....

i was hoping to run at 133 fsb, but the thing wont do ANYTHING past 115. am i missing something? v-core doesn't seem to make a diff. running my ram at 3x/4x doesn't help either...

anyone else running similar rigs? tips or tricks i could use?

oh yah, its stable right now @ 2.3, stock cooling. i've gotta Global Win WBW76 that i could set up, but i haven't as of yet cuz i don't wanna tear everything out (uses its own mounting brackets). As i'm not all that familliar with p4's and how good their stock fans r (i've heard pretty dang good) i'm not sure if it will benifit me.

cpu temps r fine, 32ish idle, no more than 45 full load.

i AM getting random reboots, but i'm attributing that to my beta DX9 as it never gave me probs b4 that. (performance with dx9 and the beta dx9 drivers is great tho!)

any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
and do you have the latest BIOS? 2.0A should have a good chance at 133FSB....
as for the 1.8 you already hit the wall with it, or very close to it as willys are poor overclockers.

Since you have 2 CPU's that both hit a wall at 115FSB, that leads me to belive the problem is in 1 of a few places.

#1: RAM
RDRAM has been hard to overclock and doesnt (generally) overclock as well DDR.
but yoiu said you have tried setting the RDRAM to 3x.
that should let you hit 133FSB. As the RAM is not overclocked at that speed. You may however want to try the slowest RAM timings and see if you can get a higher FSB.
But once again, 3x is spec of PC800 on a 133FSB....
so that leads me to question your power

#2: PSU
How many watts is your PSU? 300Watts should be a MIN for the system you are running. Your system might not have well enough power to hit the higher FSB. or the PSU might just be flaky...
And you are sure the RANDOM reboots are just DX9?
Power is often the problem....

#3: Motherboard
BIOS? most upto date version? If not, i would update it. Might have better support for higher FSB speeds (along with all the bugs fixed a new BIOS brings) are you sure the board is 100% working? i only ask because it was free.
Also are you sure you have set your AGP and PCI dividers properly? as a PCI device could very easily be hlding you back if you have the PCI divider set to 1/3 trying to run above 115FSB.
so make sure it is set to 1/4 in the bios (or 33MHz)

Oh and is that 2 or 4 sticks of RAM you have installed?

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
yah, first thing i do is update my BIOS (as my 9700 dun like older 1'ns, not matter the board). I used the ASUS updater. it auto downloads the newest BIOS. could there be a newer 1 it isn't seeing?

#1. my BIOS doesn't give me many option in the way o9f ram timings. I've grown accustum *sic to booting my AXP 1500, 1800, 2000, and 2200 chips at pretty much whatever i want (givin the chips limitations) by relaxing my ram timings. with this board/BIOS all i can do is turn off "turbo" mode (whatever that means) and it doesn't seem to help. With my current overclock, i have no probs running at 4x (920mhz) so i know i got a little leway on that.

#2 my power supply came with my case and its rated @ 350. same power supply had no probs letting me hit 2 ghz with my AXP 2000+, so i'm pretty sure its not flaky. And my system was running fine with 8.1 and catalyst 2.3's. i'm planning to farmat, and install the 2.4's, so that problem will soon be null.

#3 my board is in perfect working order (i hope!). it WAS free, but it was also brand new. i work in a computer shop, and it was basically my bonus for the month.
i can't find any pci or agp divider in my BIOS. the "chip configuration" tab only lets me set my agp apature size and agp drive strength ( <---don't know what it does, so i left it alone).

i got 4 256MB samsung modules...

THANKS FOR THE TIME BTW! :)

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
ok, i just got it to post @ 120FSB, it goes into the windows loading screen (XPPRO) and then the screen goes black right when i think windows is gonna load. ARGH!! i;m pretty sure my setup can do more. Someone said somewhere that running 4 sticks of RDRAM can cause some problems in regards to the memory controller. I would gladly sacrafice half my ram to get 300 more MHZ and a faster bus.

i don't have time to try right now, but later today i'l take out 2 modules and see if that can push me over 115FSB. if it works, i'll have 2 256MB (pc800) sammy's to sell cheap, so hit me up if ur interested....

micamica1217

your samsungs should hit 133fsb at 4x, yet after you remove the two sticks....try to set it at 3x if you have no luck.

see what happens.

mica

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
okeee....i can boot into windows at 120FSB after i've removed 2 of my pc800 sticks. problem is, i can only do it at 3x without turbo on. and its not even stable. i freeze up when i click on the utility tab in asus probe. hmm....maybe i got no luck...back to the AXP2000+ i guess.......

grr....i really wanted this machine to trounce my other box....

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
*bump*

i really don't wanna go back to my AMD.....can anyone offer advice? it would be greatly appreciated

cerberus

im runnin my 2.26 at 150 on that same board with 2 sticks at 3x with turbo on without a volt increase... rock solid stable.... it almost leads me to think that you have a bad psu that is delivering sub-par voltage to ure board because when u took 2 sticks out it is using less voltage than before... try swapping ure 9700 out for an older vid card that uses less voltage and see what happens there... also get out the asus probe that came with the board and check ure volts

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
FIZZ3 said:
What is the SSpec on that CPU? Week? Plant?

Have you tried the Pin Trick yet?

hmm kinda a noob as far as p4's go....how do i find that info out? is it printed on the chip like a Athlon?

and the pin trick? is that to lower my multiplier? i'll check it out. if i'm at my max OC (i hope im not) i wanna get my FSB up to 133 or higher...

*edit* oops, just saw the sticky on the batch thing....imma pull this thing apart later today, and will provide all the details :)

Last edited:
OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
cerberus said:
im runnin my 2.26 at 150 on that same board with 2 sticks at 3x with turbo on without a volt increase... rock solid stable.... it almost leads me to think that you have a bad psu that is delivering sub-par voltage to ure board because when u took 2 sticks out it is using less voltage than before... try swapping ure 9700 out for an older vid card that uses less voltage and see what happens there... also get out the asus probe that came with the board and check ure volts

what i've heard from readin a bit around here is that the 2.26 is a great overclocker thanks to its low multiplier. taking 2 sticks of ram out only helped me boot into windows at 120FSB. a couple of mouse clicks after that and i'm hung. what BIOS r u running cerebus?

voltage is as follows: +12=12.281, +5 = 5.08, +3.3 = 3.312, Vcore = jumps around a little....i've got it set to 1.55 and its anywhere from 1.584 to 1.6

i really don't think my power supply is flaky, but i'll grab a enermax from work (350 should do?) and see if that helps.

thanks for the replies ppl!

TASOS

If your 2.0A is an early production b0 stepping....then that's it.
Only a few of those chips could hit 133 fsb...most of them could do 120-125 max regardless of vcore

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
TASOS said:
If your 2.0A is an early production b0 stepping....then that's it.
Only a few of those chips could hit 133 fsb...most of them could do 120-125 max regardless of vcore

if that's the case, i'm ok with that because at 2.3Ghz, this chip is a little faster than my AXP2000+, but is there a way i can lower my multi and get the most outta my FSB?

TASOS

hUMANbEATbOX said:

if that's the case, i'm ok with that because at 2.3Ghz, this chip is a little faster than my AXP2000+, but is there a way i can lower my multi and get the most outta my FSB?

NO WAY

But you can try to Vid-pin that cpu @1.675 in case it needs some more default Vcore to get a bit higher

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
lol k.....srry i'm dumb.....

so no multi options. how much voltage can i safely give my chip? i dun want no dead northwood syndrome goin on. what voltage would u guys recommend for my OC? 2.0a, i'm @ 2.3 now with a 115FSB and voltage set to 1.55 (actual 1.58~1.6)?

and would better cooling help me out?? i'm usin the stock fan, cuz i've heard they r pretty good. i've also got 1 of these http://www.globalwinusa.com/products/wbw76.html that i haven't put in cuz i'm too lazy :) the site doesn't give a rating as far as Mhz (as i'm used to seeing on AXP fans.."for use up to 2600+"). should i use it?

cerberus

ive run everything from bios 3 to 8 with no real differences... and id run the volts as high as u can get them and still maintain a good temp under heavy load... so what if it cuts ure life from 6 yrs to 3 years... itll be old and useless then anyways... also i used the stock fan for awhile befor i went to water and it worked great... got a little whiny at higher speeds but it was quite tolerable and always kept me under 50c

OP
hUMANbEATbOX

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
just to bump and update, i formatted and got rid of DX9, and my reboot problems r gone. :)