• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q Motherboard help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tony2018

Hello all,
It is a great pleasure to have found this forum with members who have a vast knowledge.
Recently I was give a P5Q MB with a Q9400 cpu. Since I had some other parts laying around, I decided to put all of these together and have a kind pf back up PC.
However, I am having trouble with two problems:
The PC starts only after I clear MB cache using the jumper. Everything works OK after that (except the other problem mentioned below). This is till the next boot. On the next boot, the fans start spinning but the OS does not show at all on the screen till I clear the cache again.
The other issue has to do with the CPU fan speed. It runs at its max speed (i think) and there are no other programs running in the same time. I checked the CPU temps at they seem to be in their lowest.
Would you be able to say if I am doing sth not right?
Any help will be very appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• MB.jpg
    MB.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 116
  • GPU.jpg
    GPU.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 117
  • CPU TEMP.jpg
    CPU TEMP.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 110
  • CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 109
  • CACHE.jpg
    CACHE.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 109
  • MEMORY.jpg
    MEMORY.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 110
  • SPD.jpg
    SPD.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4693.JPG
    IMG_4693.JPG
    597.5 KB · Views: 111
Bios sounds roughed up. Have you tried flashing it to the latest or reflashing? Replaced cmos battery? Adjusted fans manually in the bios?

Bios sounds roughed up. Have you tried flashing it to the latest or reflashing? Replaced cmos battery? Adjusted fans manually in the bios?

+1 for replacing the battery. I had one of those boards back in the day and it must be 7-8 years old now? Definitely at the point where batteries will fail.

Add that to the fact that you got the board from someone which may mean it has been sat around for a while doing nothing which doesn’t help.

"Clearing the cache"? I think the term you should be using is clearing the CMOS.

Please tell us about the rest of the components you are using: Make, model and wattage of the PSU? Make and model of the video card? Amount and frequency of memory? Are the memory modules all the same? Have you tested the integrity of the memory? Are you sure the hard drive is good?

EarthDog's suggestions are good, though. Replace CMOS battery and flash bios. But I wouldn't try flashing the bios until you have confirmed that other hardware components are working properly. Otherwise, the operation could permanently corrupt the bios. You don't want a bios flash to be stopped in the middle of the process by some hardware glitch.

"Clearing the cache"? I think the term you should be using is clearing the CMOS.

Please tell us about the rest of the components you are using: Make, model and wattage of the PSU? Make and model of the video card? Amount and frequency of memory? Are the memory modules all the same? Have you tested the integrity of the memory? Are you sure the hard drive is good?

EarthDog's suggestions are good, though. Replace CMOS battery and flash bios. But I wouldn't try flashing the bios until you have confirmed that other hardware components are working properly. Otherwise, the operation could permanently corrupt the bios. You don't want a bios flash to be stopped in the middle of the process by some hardware glitch.

Thank you for your fast reply and I apologize for my PC terms not to be called correctly in my post.
Yes, I have changed the CMOS battery with a new one before I reach for help, but the problem was the same.
The GPU is Saphire HD7700
The PSU is Dell 460W
Memory is 4x1GB Samsung (all the same sticks). I tried having one stick installed one at a time but have not tested them for integrity.
The HDD is an old one "Maxtor 80GB" - but could this be the real cause of the problem?
Case is Antec Design. This has not any fans installed - could this be the case that the CPU fan runs at its high speed in order to compensate for the case fans?

Please let me know of anything that I can try.
Thank you

The CPU fan speed problem should be corrected be enabling CPU Q-Fan Control. It should open up a range to adjust the fan curve. Something like 25% fan speed @ 25*C to 100% fan speed at 75*C.

The CPU fan speed problem should be corrected be enabling CPU Q-Fan Control. It should open up a range to adjust the fan curve. Something like 25% fan speed @ 25*C to 100% fan speed at 75*C.

I have tried this solution as well. The CPU fan speed drops but the PC becomes non responsible and shuts down.
Also I have tried another stock CPU fan and it acts the same, it runs to max speed.

Last edited:
Back