• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 Premium - Why TWO Ethernet Ports?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leica

I am the proud owner of this fantastic board.

Just curious, why two Gigabit LAN ports?

What would be a good (if any) use of the other port?

crimedog

you'd be hard pressed to find a high end board with only one port. i am not sure of the reason myself but it would make internet sharing pretty easy...

RangerXLT8

Leica said:
I am the proud owner of this fantastic board.

Just curious, why two Gigabit LAN ports?

What would be a good (if any) use of the other port?

Maybe so one computer can be connected to 2 different networks. For instance their DSL connection on one, and a LAN that goes throughout their house on the other.

mjgent

Registered
RangerXLT8 said:
Maybe so one computer can be connected to 2 different networks. For instance their DSL connection on one, and a LAN that goes throughout their house on the other.
Yep. Server/firewall purpose.

BigStan

It is quite common for a Server to need 2 network ports. One for access to the Internet, the other to drive the companies internal network. As strong as this mobo is, it would make an excellent Server.

OP
L

Leica

crimedog said:
it would make internet sharing pretty easy...

So would a $30 router! AND it would be a lot more secure!

Can you imagine connecting a PC directly to the internet without the hardware firewall or NAT of a hardware router? :rolleyes:

OP
L

Leica

RangerXLT8 said:

Again connecting to the DSL directly via Ethernet is scary. Hackers would love it. Windows XP's firewall is no match for a Hardware Router.

As for connecting to two different networks, why? Would would a corporation have two networks? PCs on one side wouldn't be able to communicate with PCs on the other side and think of the cabling!

crimedog

Leica said:
So would a $30 router! AND it would be a lot more secure!

Can you imagine connecting a PC directly to the internet without the hardware firewall or NAT of a hardware router? :rolleyes:

Some people can handle it...

Leica said:
As for connecting to two different networks, why? Would would a corporation have two networks? PCs on one side wouldn't be able to communicate with PCs on the other side and think of the cabling!

Gigabit for LAN transfers, 10/100 for internet...

BLcK

Leica said:
Again connecting to the DSL directly via Ethernet is scary. Hackers would love it. Windows XP's firewall is no match for a Hardware Router.

Restrictions for the peons and give internet access to all the 'bigwigs'/ppl with power access to the internet perhaps or restricting work stations to the internet and break room computers to have access to the internet but not to the workstation network - a couple of examples.

OP
L

Leica

OK fair enough. But still it is not a server board and I think that 99% of the users don't use the second LAN port.

Anyway this leads to my next question, which port is better and faster? I am using the Intel one, as I assume that one is.

BTW I have a home LAN and use Gigabit. Gigabit switches are now cheap and the norm...

BigStan

Leica said:

I'm sorry, but this comment shows a total lack of knowledge and understanding of how servers and server software works. Before you become critical of other ppls configurations you should do more research. There is nothing in Rangers comments that preclude the internet connection from having a firewall appliance between the network port and the internet. And large companies have multitudes of networks and servers that can all talk to each other. Do you really think that a huge company like Mircosoft has only one network and one server?

And why would yu assume that there is no company out there that uses this mobo in a server?

mjgent

Registered
Also some IT managers still use UNIX boxes as a stand alone firewall system not just windows. This board would work for that purpose although a little overkill for most situations.

Different internal networks can talk to (access) each other even though they may have different IP addresses, i.e. 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, etc. or whatever it may be.

OP
L

Leica

BigStan said:
I'm sorry, but this comment shows a total lack of knowledge and understanding of how servers and server software works.

Guilty as charged. :shrug:

I guess I have learned a lot.

Anyway which is a better port? Or are both the same speed?

Thanks.

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
Ditto for me ... i diasble the marvel one and use the intel.

Higher throughput possible if you use both for multimedia serving and 'normal' serving ... you could optimize each nic for different workloads,

I don't need it, but others might - i would guess those heavily into video/streaming etc. Also introduces more complexity into your setup.

Happy13178

Registered
I use both....one for internet into computer, and the second out into a hub to the other computers in the house. really easy to set up.