• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p8z68/i7 2600k wont post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psillycyben

Hello :)

yesterday I bought the p8z68 deluxe gen 3 and a new i7 2600k but for the life of me i cant get the thing to run with any stability.

I also bought 2x4gb g-skill rampart sticks for the upgrade.

Basically the system powers up for about 5 seconds and immediately resets and then just stays that way.

The only LED indication on the mobo is the memory LED(no error beeps with internal speaker)

I have tried just about every combination of memory chips while testing the onboard memory fault tester(mem ok button) with little to no results.( chips tested G-skill 2x4g rampart-corsair 2x2gb xms-2x1gb kingston)

The only success I have had is after the 2nd or 3rd boot attempt with the Gskill chip. I pressed the mem test button on the mobo and we managed to get into bios and then to windows but windows wouldnt let me get past the recovery management. It just kept trying to repair errors but it couldnt.

after that I started trying various mem stick configurations and since then I simply cant get it to do anything. the mem test button seems not to help in any way either now, regardless of which chips i use.

Mobo- p8z68 deluxe gen 3
cpu - i7 2600k
psu - corsair 750w (known to be woking)
gpu -msi ngtx 580 (known to be working) also tried an old nvidia gt220
ram- gskill 2x4gb rampart / corsair 2x2gb xms / 2x1gb kingston (old chips) - i did try each type of chip individually as well as in pairs. also in different module slots.

so yea. I have tried swapping out different gpus and various ram configurations. all the other hardware(gpu.psu.ram) came straight from my other desktop which has been working with no problems)

I have tried everything and im leaning toward a faulty mobo. I will be calling the retailer today but ill be interested to hear any thoughts on the matter. :cry:

the worst part is. this all happened on the day that my new cable internet was due to be installed. after a 3 week wait it turned out the isp never even booked me in to have the technician come to my house. so now i have to wait another 2 weeks for that and i really hoped my new hardware would cheer me up :bang head

Bad Board (?)

Hi,

I got a P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 recently and when I did, the POST always hung with the same numeric code showing (62, I believe). Eventually, after many attempts to get past this, I discovered that if I put only 2 DIMMS in the B1 and B2 slots, the board would proceed normally through POST. Any other RAM configuration would lead to the stall during POST.

I returned the board for a replacement and the new one functions fine.

Randall Schulz

Have you tryed to boot with the motherbord outside of the case? like on the floor or something, as you may have a short. this is the first thing that i would try.

Also have you tryed to boot with only one stick of ram and the bare essentials? doing this will eliminate any other form of hardware issue.

can you test the new ram on another motherbord? this will also eliminate if it is faulty ram.

you may have already tried theese things, but if not its worth a shot :)

I would have to say it is a bad motherboard. I have the same one and i was a little sceptacle buying considering the reviews saying that you have a high chance of DOA.

Back