• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paint a Metal socket (for amd)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
The smooth silver part? You should be able to remove it completely. Rough it up with sandpaper (something like 400 at the highest) un til they are all evenly roughed and not mirror smooth. Then cover it with primer, and finish it with a coat or 2 of your color choice.

Or cout out a sheet of contact paper to match the shape of the mounting plate, and stick em on the plate. Quicker this way, and you can remove the paper if you decide to sell it in the future. A faux wood grain would bring back the 1970's themed electronics.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
That mounting plate will come right off, but nobody will want to buy that block if you decide to sell it later on down the road :D I'd just paint a THIN sheet of plastic and stick it over the plate... or make another mounting plate. I guess its not that big of a deal though.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
That mounting plate will come right off, but nobody will want to buy that block if you decide to sell it later on down the road :D I'd just paint a THIN sheet of plastic and stick it over the plate... or make another mounting plate. I guess its not that big of a deal though.

I would think it depends on the color. If it was painted pink, I doubt someone would go for it, but if it was painted a color that might match someone elses theme, it shouldn't be too hard.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Eh go with contact paper. Many variety of colors and patterns, easy to cut and apply, usually easy to remove at the end if you want the original silver look back.

Unless you don't mind permanent painting and don't expect to sell them used at all in the future, then sandpaper + primer + paint should work.