• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painting a chome case - help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robbiem01

I bought 2 cans of chrome paint and one can of primer at sears today. The guy checking me out said a friend of his used that paint on his cars rims and they were just gray and they all laughed at him. I asked if it would work on metal like a computer case and he said he didn't know why not. Have you guys ever seen someone do this? Please show me a pic of a chome case if you have one. I'm testing a piece of metal from my case side (where my 120mm fan is now) before I do it to the whole thing. Right now the primer is drying. If I cant get this to work i'm gonna return the can I didn't use and get black paint. Thanks for any help in advance.

Bull

I have chrome paint and use it to paint my cd covers etc. silver. You will not get a true chrome look out of chrome paint.

Daniel

Mike K

You could strip of all the paint from the metal, sand and polish it to get a chrome finish, then use the silver paint on your front bezel, if it is plastic. I'll try to find the link where a guy chromed out a computer cube.

501st post! 5 stars!!:beer:

stool

I can tell you right now, it will only look somewhat chrome until you touch it. I tried this on some lighted fanbuses to put inside case windows, and the effect sucks.

xl

Ya, i used this "chrome" paint. Sorry no pics... But it's only somewhat chrome... I did lots of sanding, and it's like... grainy in the reflection.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
You might not have gotten the chrome look but you got yourself one nice silver case:beer: What does it look like put together?

Prodius613

Registered
hey man i checked out the pics of the case.

thats the best job i have ever seen come out of a can of chrome spray paint.

thats about like the project i am working on now.. (except different colors)

notquiterite

Registered
hey dude here's an idea instead of chrome get an old mirror at a yard sale and cut it down and stick it on the outside of your case :cool:

OP
R

Robbiem01

that would be cool but i'm too supersticious to risk breaking a mirror. Well not really but I dont know how I would cut a mirror (or glass.) and it would be kind of thick. maybe I could lay some tin-foil down and spray some clearcoat paint over it. That might just work...

OP
R

Robbiem01

The case is some cheapo that I got from a local computer store. It had poor ventilation until it met me. Its a good case though. I dont know what company made it but I can give you a link to the stores site. It cost me $35 when I got it. The site is www.sky-pro.net. They have 5 stores (I think all in michigan)

notquiterite

Registered
Robbiem01 said:
that would be cool but i'm too supersticious to risk breaking a mirror. Well not really but I dont know how I would cut a mirror (or glass.) and it would be kind of thick. maybe I could lay some tin-foil down and spray some clearcoat paint over it. That might just work...

glass is easy to cut all u got to do is score it a bunch of times with a razor and snap it along the seam you need a sharp razor though

OP
R

Robbiem01

and the good thing about it is that it's heavy. It should block a lot of the sound like the dynomat stuff.