• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painting Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DKC

Hey guys, I just finished my second coat of color on my case sides and i'm seeing little drps of paint from the first coat, little rings from the drops and I dont' know how to get rid of them, I tried sanding with 600 grit and then applying another coat but it didn't work, does anyone have any advice?
Thanks a lot

Sounds as if either you’re not sanding enough or those ringlets are something else that is wet (some type of oil perhaps?).

What color paint are you using? I know this sounds kinda trivial, but if it’s a light color, things like that tend to show through more.

I would try spraying the metal down with Windex real good and going over it with 600 grit sandpaper again. I use Windex all the time because it evaporates quicker and I don’t have to worry about soap residue left on the metal. I have painted probably 10 cases and the Windex has never hurt the paint (as log as it is dry).

I also use Rustoleum Epoxy. This stuff is made for appliances like refrigerators and washing machines. This leaves a very durable paint job and its very easy to work with. The only down side to it is that it only comes in “appliance” colors (from what I have been able to find) like Black, White, Almond and Gold.

If sanding didn't get rid of them, it might be a flaw deeper than the first coat. You might have to get down to bare surface again and start over.

I'd take the case right back to the primer w/ some Laquor thinner/Enamel reducer/Gunwash and try again. Sounds like you got some fisheye and some runs in your paint.

Did you bomb it, or use a gun? If you used a gun, you might be using too slow of a reducer in your paint. Try a medium or fast reducer. If you bombed it, make sure you paint in a room that has a temperature in accordance w/ what it says on the side of the can. This can cause runs.

As for the fisheye, wipe the case down w/ some enamel reducer and a soft, clean rag. Let it dry, then DON'T TOUCH IT! Fisheye is caused by oil, wether it be from a dirty rag or your fingers.

Happy painting!

thanks for all the help d00ds it's starting to look nice. I read that tutorial from pc workshop and i'm following it as best I can. I'm a little skeptical about somethings like sanding after the last color coat then rubbing compound, i mean, if u sand it gets dull so how will that shine come back with rubbing compound?? anyone know wha ti'm talking about??

DKC said:
thanks for all the help d00ds it's starting to look nice. I read that tutorial from pc workshop and i'm following it as best I can. I'm a little skeptical about somethings like sanding after the last color coat then rubbing compound, i mean, if u sand it gets dull so how will that shine come back with rubbing compound?? anyone know wha ti'm talking about??

Yes, if you sand the paint after you're finished, it will dull it. Best thing to do is take some 1000 or 1500 (although that might be too fine. 1000 should be enough) wet/dry paper, and some warm soapy water. Sand the paint enough to scratch the surface evenly, but don't sand down to the primer, and make sure you keep the paper and the surface wet and clean. Rinse both every now and then w/ a wet rag from the same bucket your water is in.

After you're done and the side is clean and dry (wipe it down w/ another clean, soft rag) apply your polishing compound to your polisher and buff it for about 20 minutes, or until you bring the shine up.

I had to do the same thing w/ my case (got dust in my paint . . . shoulda grounded it) and it came out really nice. Just have a look at these pictures if you're still in doubt:

12.jpg

11.jpg

09.jpg

07.jpg

See? Shiny!

wow excellent finish, I hope mine turns out the same, I have a few blemishes but I'm too lazy to do another coat, soo, i'll just sand er down and polish er up and send in some pics for you all

DKC said:
wow excellent finish, I hope mine turns out the same, I have a few blemishes but I'm too lazy to do another coat, soo, i'll just sand er down and polish er up and send in some pics for you all

That'd be great! I'm going to put even more of a shine into it next week. Gunna redo the top piece as well.

Back