• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

painting plastic laptop case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adovbs

Registered
I want to paint a worn plastic laptop case. It's got a putty colored plastic base with black paint over that. The black paint is peeling up, so it's not a good base to paint over. I would like to take the rest of the paint off so that I have just the base to deal with, but i'm not sure what will take the paint off and not damage the plastic case underneath. Has anyone had any experience stripping a painted plastic case? What did you use?

Thanks,
Adovbs

Randy

Go to a body and paint supply and see if they have a paint stripper that's made specifically for plastic parts I know that they make a stripper for Urethane bumpers and spoilers you may be able to get it in SEM products spray can safe for Urethane and plastic if I remember correctly (I have been out of the trade for about 3 yrs now and they Technology has advanced quite a bit)
A good auto body and paint supply house should be able to help you out.
Randy

OP
adovbs

adovbs

Registered
Go to a body and paint supply and see if they have a paint stripper that's made specifically for plastic parts I know that they make a stripper for Urethane bumpers and spoilers you may be able to get it in SEM products spray can safe for
Hey, thanks! I'll try that.

If they don't have anything, then I'll just have to get out the sanding pads and use elbow grease, I guess...

Thanks,
Adovbs

Prodius613

Registered
use the sanding block..

it will make a good base for the new paint to stick to..

if you want to paint it black again may i make a suggestion..

go to your local hardware store and go to the paint department and ask for

> > > > apliance epoxy enamal < < < <

they make it in black, white and almond

it take a while to dry but when it is dry it is hard as a rock.

i painted the rims on my truck with it and they haven't chipped yet so i think you can say it will resist scratches so it should look good for a while and take some abuse.

OP
adovbs

adovbs

Registered
it will make a good base for the new paint to stick to..
It sounds like this paint might be mainly for metal - I'll check into it though and see if the can says it will adhere and cure properly on plastic.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Adovbs

Prodius613

Registered
yea i have painted a floppy drive, mouse, and fan using the stuff.

color is limited though but the finish is nice and doesn't scratch