• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Panflow works but doesn't

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gekko

Registered
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Just did a major mod on my case and when all done I noticed my temps were much higher. I finally noticed the my low noise 120mm Panaflow intake was pushing like 1 cfm of air. Part oif the mod included painting it's blades. After connecting it to main power to make sure it was getting enough juice through the switch i'd installed for it I decided the painjob must be holding it back. I took forever to get the paint off. Still push like nothing, mabye a bit more. The thing spins pretty quick but won't move any air!! Any ideas? I want my panaflow to flow! Thanks in advance....

Mark
 

HaM

Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2001
Location
Purdue University
Ermm... somewhere I heard (dont know if its true, just trying to help) that if you turn your fan's blades a lot when it is off, you could ruin the insides of the fan that make it spin. maybe you have done that... if thats the case, then yer gonna have to get a new fan. Like I said, im not sure though. Check with other members, fo they have more experience.

Matt
 
J

jb

Guest
How much and what kind of power supply do you have ?

It sounds like you may have a bumb fan. Maybe someone else who has had this problem before can help you out.
 
J

jb

Guest
Thats alot of power my uneducated guess is the fan "blows" or the lack there of.
 
OP
G

Gekko

Registered
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
sorry...found the problem...I'm dumb...yellow is 12 volt, red is 5 volt, yellow is 12 volt red is 5 volt....
 
W

William

Guest
Gekko (Aug 02, 2001 02:39 a.m.):
sorry...found the problem...I'm dumb...yellow is 12 volt, red is 5 volt, yellow is 12 volt red is 5 volt....

yes, and they should never touch each other. lol, glad you got it figured out.
 

FerrariF50

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2001
Location
Greenwich,CT,USA
Thats for sure!!! I was messing with my blower fan and I had it hooked to the power molex conntector that was hooked to the hard drive. Somehow I moved the fan and the wire came out makeing a small blue spark and the whole computer shut off. Boy was I scared because I did not want to buy a new power supply. But after 1 min it reseted it's self and it's working again... Rule of thumb allways make sure your wires are in their tight and not going to slip out!!

William said:


yes, and they should never touch each other. lol, glad you got it figured out.
 

cjtune

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2000
FerrariF50 said:
Thats for sure!!! I was messing with my blower fan and I had it hooked to the power molex conntector that was hooked to the hard drive. Somehow I moved the fan and the wire came out makeing a small blue spark and the whole computer shut off. Boy was I scared because I did not want to buy a new power supply. But after 1 min it reseted it's self and it's working again... Rule of thumb allways make sure your wires are in their tight and not going to slip out!!


Yeah, especially wheh DC sparks/arcs more easily than AC. The last time I had a fan connected to the HDD power line and my finger got caught in it thus locking the rotor up. My whole PC rebooted suddenly. My guess is that when the fan's rotor got stuck, somehow it disrupted the curent or voltage along the whole line to mess with sensitive components like the HDD.
 

Overload

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2000
cjtune said:


Yeah, especially wheh DC sparks/arcs more easily than AC. The last time I had a fan connected to the HDD power line and my finger got caught in it thus locking the rotor up. My whole PC rebooted suddenly. My guess is that when the fan's rotor got stuck, somehow it disrupted the curent or voltage along the whole line to mess with sensitive components like the HDD.



Yea, you should never stop or slow down a fan. when you do you increase the load on the fan and the currents goes up to compensate. if you conpletely stop it, it act almost like a short and the current can go extremely high. also it can really hurt you fingers :p
 

djc007

Registered
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
yep, try putting 6 case fans in and watch them dance about and not try and get your fingers caught in them!!!!!, what's the most powerful fan 4 p.c's out at the moment? as in exhaust or blower fan.
thanx
 

FerrariF50

Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2001
Location
Greenwich,CT,USA
I can stop my blower fan right now that is connected to my hard drive power and it wont start but the cool thing about the fan is when you stop it with your finger... And then let go it spins again in 1 sec. And not right away.


Overload said:




Yea, you should never stop or slow down a fan. when you do you increase the load on the fan and the currents goes up to compensate. if you conpletely stop it, it act almost like a short and the current can go extremely high. also it can really hurt you fingers :p