• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Panicked and ordered a new PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rickytheraccoon

Registered
ok I've been posting a lot of questions about getting my new computer up and running, bear with me here, and today I brought it over to a friends house to use his graphics card because mines hasnt come in yet..

so, what happened you wonder? I hook everything up, with a formatted harddrive in, ready to do a clean install of windows then BAM.. blue screen.. some weird error.. then I restart, and repeat the installation.. never making it very far before it cuts itself off. So I check all my wires, everythings fine, hit the power button and it dosnt even turn on. I unplug it.. replug it.. hit the button.. fans spin for 1 second then cut off.. At this point I start getting scared..

The case came with a 400 watt psu, dosnt seem to reliable.. but I just wanna make sure that it is indeed the power supplies fault this is happening. So I did a little test.. not sure if the test tells me anything important but I took the fan, hooked it up to just the power supply from my old computer, plugged that into the motherboard and it worked great. So... I figured my power supply died pretty early in the game so I ordered a 420 watt Thermaltake silent something psu.. Should that work? or is there another way to test the factory psu?

sixshot666

you should have tried your friends psu if you didnt to see if its the psu or not.
something else it could be is static electricity.its happened to me
when i had my system on and put my side panel back on i
brushed up against my monitor and system shut off and couldnt restart it.unplugged the powercord from the psu then put the cord back in and it restarted.

CrashOveride

You can test it by making a connection btwn two pins on the ATX plug, the green and any black, like this:
plug.gif
Then see if the fan is turning, if so the PSU is good.

I had somthing similar happen the other day on another computer, turned out to be the motherboard... hopefully that isn't the case here but don't rule it out.

Anyways,
Welcome To The Forums!:D
Feel Free to Introduce Yourself:D

OP
R

rickytheraccoon

Registered
I dunno.. I turned it off and on.. unplugged it from the socket in every combination.. turned on and off the power thing on the back of the psu.. no luck. The most I can get out of it is a quick 1 second spin of the fans.. then nothing.. But.. the light on my motherboard is on when I turn on the power supply... so I'm confused.

OP
R

rickytheraccoon

Registered
oh man... I did another test.. this time i just plugged the power connector from the new comp into my old motherboard and plugged a fan into it and it worked.. then i hook everything back up and its running... and I ordered a new psu like 20 minutes ago.. *smacks own face*

wizard james

o well...i guess u always will have one if your new one craps out on yea. ...or u could always donat it....