• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paralelle port interface finally done

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluedude2288

I finally finished hooking up leds to the paralellel port. I will be making a guide soon so look out!

Crazy Jayhawk said:
The movie file on that page doesn't work. WMP says "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream."

Works fine here, you're probably using ancient codecs:D

But what do those LEDs do? just blink?

**EDIT** BTW your codecs don't have to be ancient, AVI sucks a lot, Codec X lets you view AVI A but doesn't let you view AVI B and visa versa.

Im wondering that too, can you program the lights? I have actually looked around for somthing that is programmable, but couldent find it.

Yeah you need a avi codec, and the leds are programmable, i can control each individualy from my pc, i wrote the code, that is just one of the codes i designed, its a led chaser

you can hook up to 12 leds to the parallel port. There are 8 outputs, plus 4 bidirectional pins. I one built one of these, and had a few qbasic programs that would do patterns with the 12 lights.

hey, do you know anything about multiplexing, i am building a computer run train set, and currently am looking at the circuit that does 64 bits and i kinda want more, but don't want it hard

you don't want it [H]ard?
lol, ok, bad joke.

Seriously though, i do know a fair ammount about electronics, but to devise a multiplexer circuit off the top of my head, that may be a little trickey. What specifically do you need? I would assume to switch back and forth multiple locations, that would require a latched output, so all of the rails dont go back to default when you send a signal :p. As for the number of outputs, 128 could be done ralatively simply, by using 4 register bits instead of threee like the link says.

What exactly do you want? how many outputs? LPT port I assume.

Back