• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parallel external ZIP 250 drive= lots of CPU usage!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I just got an external ZIP 250 drive. It hooks up via Parallel port, not USB. And man does this thing require lots of CPU power. With it hooked up it takes about 32% cpu usage, all the time, it doesn't matter if its on or not. With it connected my computer is jerky, I will be typing and it will delay a lot. As soon as I unplug it from the PC everything goes back to normal. Is it supposed to be like this?

turd

No it should not do that. Check the software that comes with it , try and reinstal and watch your options, I havent used a IOMEGA ware for some time but I would guess that they have continued to add to the package and I suspect that somekind of directcopy watch or something like that is going on.

OP
gingo

gingo

Actually I am not using the Iomegaware software... Win XP detects the drive and will allow me read and write to the disk without the software... Maybe I should try the software.....

Tecumseh

I use XPPro and I still use the IOmegaware SW. My unit is an old
first-generation USB. Dload the new stuff form iomega. I think they
have it in sections if you have a slow Net connection.

OP
gingo

gingo

I dont use a virus scanner, I'll try the software later on.