• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Parallel rads vs. serial, quad core block reccomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It looks like I wasn't clear enough in my initial post.

I'm going to have 2 loops, each comprised of CPU block, GPU block, res, pump, and 2 radiators. Due to space restrictions, the pump, res, and 2 rads will all be near one another, and the CPU/GPU blocks will be connected. Basically, I'm cooling 2 rack mounted boxes, and there will be a combined 'cooling bay' at the bottom of the rack that the rads, res's, and pumps will be in.

What I'm wondering is whether it'd be better to run the rads in paralell or serial, but in both cases there wouldn't be anything "between" them.

EDIT:
So for a better idea of what I'm dealing with, space wise, here's my setup. The two big boxes in the left rack are getting cooled, the bay at the bottom will house 4 rads, 2 pumps, 2 res's and a dedicated power supply for the water cooling portion.

My plan for the loops was: Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Rad -> Rad -> Res -> Return to pump.

taht makes no sense though. you'll have the super hot water from the CPU going right into your GPU..

taht makes no sense though. you'll have the super hot water from the CPU going right into your GPU..

As long as the flow rate is reasonable, I really doubt that it will matter much. Sure, it won't be the _most_ efficient, but that's why I'm putting 2 3x120 rads on each loop. I really don't have any choice -- it's either CPU -> GPU or GPU -> CPU. No option for a rad in there. The water probably won't rise more than a couple of degrees C, so as long as the rads can dump the cumulative load I think it'll be okay.

Having said that, my initial question still stands: I've got 2 rads per loop, and they'll be hooked up to one another due to space constraints, so is it better to just use a pair of Y splitters and run them in parallel, or simply run them in serial?

if the rads are housed out side if the case in there own enclosure, then imo parallel them.

Back