• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

particular bandwidth monitor software needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shunx

Does anyone know any software that tracks download/upload bandwidth to the internet but ignores activities within the LAN, ie transfers between local IPs? This is something that DU Meter doesn't do for people who use a router.

So far I have found this software, Bandwidth Monitor Extreme:
http://www.lp23.com/bandwidth_monitor.php
But it is not free. Anyone knows any free solution?

Last edited:

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I do't know of one either, Linksys and other router companys that build home routers really need to have some sort of built in system that allows you to limit bandwidth and monitor it too.

new_novice

that's the one I use... and as far as I know and what that website stated, IT IS FREE, only if you want extra features that you have to pay.

OP
S

shunx

Well I guess if no one knows any alternative software, $10 is not too much to ask.

OP
S

shunx

Chris said:
th eonly one i know of is DU Meter however it is not free, im not aware of any free ones but DU meter is excellent for monitoring bandwidth.

Chris if you read my post again I did mention DU Meter, but it does not ignore traffic within LAN IPs.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
My solution was to use a computer as the router, and put DU Meter watching only the NIC connected to the internet. May not be applicable in this situation.. :-/

OP
S

shunx

I'm now using the Bandwidth Monitor Extreme software as in the first post. However, it appears to be buggy: the software does not log any traffic when I turn on the IP exclusion. I'm waiting for the author to reply.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
don't exclude the router's IP address, 192.168.0.1, otherwise you'll be excluding all internet traffic

OP
S

shunx

su root said:
don't exclude the router's IP address, 192.168.0.1, otherwise you'll be excluding all internet traffic

Certainly, and I didn't exclude it. The author said it's a issue with Windows and he's working on a fix.

OP
S

shunx

Update: after a month of bug testing for the author, the software BMExtreme is now working fine and gets the job done (ie. ignoring local traffic). Recommended for those who need to track internet usage but ignore LAN usage. http://www.lp23.com/bandwidth_monitor.php