• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partition stuff, Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

PowerQuest PartitionMagic has detected an error 113 on the partition start at sector 4080510 on disk 1.

This partition overlaps andother partition or the end of the disk.
PowerQuest .... has determind that the files sytem can be truncated from 74075715 sectors to 33222420 sectors.
Would you like Powe... to fix this error?

Thats what I get when I start up partition magic.
The HDD is a 40Gb WD with a ~2Gb NTFS partition at the begginging of the drive, a ~16Gb NTFS with windows XP and then a 1Gb Linux Swap partition, 100mb linux boot partition and a ~20Gb ext2 partion (I think ext2). I want to be sure that if I tell it to fix the error it won't mess up windows (don't care about the linux Install since I am gonna get rid of it in exchange for much needed space - just until I get an extra HDD). So um.. Ya... it won't mess up my windows install right? (I need to be sure).

K1ll1nT1m3

I dont know, I have never had PM actully fix anything. PM is pretty usless when mixed with OSs other than Windows. You may have to either reinstall Linux or XP.

If you cant find another way, you might want to try using the repair option that comes on the cd ( before you format and reinstall )? When boot from the XP cd you get two chance to repair an install. The first is a command line option, the secound is automated system recovery. If PM cant save it or messing things up, you might want to try these options. Good luck

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

Sigh... I guess Ill give it a shot.. Why are my questions so challenging! They almost never get answers (unless they are on linux or somthing :p)

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

Only when I open up PM (I am trying to reformat the other, linux partitions) but alas, it is too late. I tried deleting them but then I got an error when I rebooted (before loading windows). So I did a repair install and it would get past the windows XP loading screen but then just simply go black. I hate messing with stuff like that in windows and the install had some quirkes I have been wanting to get rid of anyways so I am backing everything up and am just gonna take the time to re-install. Just gotta make sure I have EVERYTHING.

Cornel

CrashOveride said:
PowerQuest PartitionMagic has detected an error 113 on the partition start at sector 4080510 on disk 1.

PM is telling me that I have no active partitions:eek: . I think it's wrong:p
Actually I am pretty sure:D

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

Re: Re: Partition stuff, Help!

Cornel said:

PM is telling me that I have no active partitions:eek: . I think it's wrong:p
Actually I am pretty sure:D

Heh, oh ya and it did fix the error, but I gave up after about the 10th time.

K1ll1nT1m3

Sorry to hear that. Adding Linux as a dual boot writes a boot sector so when you delete the Linux OS, the Bios has no idea where to find the Windows OS. Sounds like thats not the case here though. I have had pretty good luck with that repair option. Have you tried booting in safe mode ( just checking )?

OP
CrashOveride

CrashOveride

K1ll1nT1m3 said:
Sorry to hear that. Adding Linux as a dual boot writes a boot sector so when you delete the Linux OS, the Bios has no idea where to find the Windows OS. Sounds like thats not the case here though. I have had pretty good luck with that repair option. Have you tried booting in safe mode ( just checking )?

I didn't bother, because I sorta almost wanted to reformat (but then really didn't at the same time lol) and I hate troubleshooting stuff like that, esp with windows I didn't bother with much. I too have had good luck with the repair install in teh past, I don't know what happend, it would do the little windows XP loading screen, load at least the USB (I think nee ways, my mouse turned off and on along with my USB hub dealy) and then sorta sat at a black screen for at least 30 min. Now I am on my fresh new install:D