• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pascal with a maxwell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have a 1060 and a 980 I want to run in the same rig at the same time.
anyone have a link to a guide on driver installs for doing this?

jaymz9350

They would use the same driver, it should automatically detect both, should being the key word

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I am running a 1080 and 980 in the same rig...latest drivers...no issues.

You have to use MSI Afterburner if you want to overclock both at the same time.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
are the drivers producing properly, I assume you and I are doing the same thing with them.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
hmmmmmm, not looking to good here, the later driver gimps the 980 but, that's right off the bat so I'll watch it.

magellan

I have a kepler (780) working w/my maxwell 2 (980Ti) w/no problems. Nvidia's driver install picked up both cards and installed the appropriate drivers.

RU hoping to use your high-end cards for a DX12 multiadapter setup? Or physx?

If you do, could you run some physx benchmarks? I'd be interested to see what kind of diff a high-end physx GPU would make.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
I have a kepler (780) working w/my maxwell 2 (980Ti) w/no problems. Nvidia's driver install picked up both cards and installed the appropriate drivers.

RU hoping to use your high-end cards for a DX12 multiadapter setup? Or physx?

If you do, could you run some physx benchmarks? I'd be interested to see what kind of diff a high-end physx GPU would make.

He's using it to fold.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
yes folding.
the latest driver seems to have cost me a good chunk out of the 980, from 400,000 - 450,000 ppd to 350,000 - 400,000.
another oddity is that with the Maxwell/pascal combo the rig bsods to machine error check message, this tends to be a low vcore/clock issue so I reduced my overclock on the cpu from 52,52,48,48 to 47,47,47,47 and added 0.05 vcore to bring it up to 1.27 from 1.22 and that has done no good.
running a single card of either there is no issue, with 2 maxwells there is no issue, I'm starting to suspect some corruption in windows.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Does your power supply have enough OOMF to drive the 980 and 1060?

Are you overclocking the cards right now, or are they still at stock?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
What motherboard do you have? Does it have a supplemental power lead (either pcie, molex, or sata) for use when in sli/cfx?

Please list your system specs so we all know...

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
asrock z-97 extreme 9
evga 850g2 850watt
massive water cooling, mo-ra, 4x180

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
So the answer is "Yes" is does have a supplemental power lead (molex) at the bottom of the board...

You may want to try plugging that in and see if it helps with your stability issues. I don't think its mandatory to use it (read your manual to see...maybe its 3 cards+), but its worth a try.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I'll try it tonight when I get home, I think it does and is plugged in, I run 2 980ti's in it most of the time.

yes the pci power connector is plugged into the psu.

poking around in there I found one end of one stick of ram unlocked, shoved it home and got it locked in place, great fun working on a rig folding as hard as it can!!!!!!!
even at 120 watts, pulling the case sides off the haf-x raised the gpu temp 2c, so the side fans do help even with a card this low on the scale.

Last edited:
OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
after a couple of days I can say it's not the 1060 card, Ill give it another day or two and then throw the 980 into slot #4 and try both of the together again.

SalemSaberhagen

after a couple of days I can say it's not the 1060 card, Ill give it another day or two and then throw the 980 into slot #4 and try both of the together again.

Interested to hear the results.

Just bought a 1070, had a 960, have Fallout4 on my Steamsummersale OMFG home many games did I get list

Edit:Should be a good test... grumble... ****, OK, this weekend.

I should give it a go with my setup and my one physx enabled game, but I have bioshock and gta5 going lol!