• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Passive Heatsink Removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

q149

anyone thta has removed the gold passive heatsink with 2 white plastic pins on the via boards want to tell me how they did it. I took out the pins and didnt want to try to just rip it off cause it was stuck on thier pretty good ..................... thx

Hood

q149
If the mobo is still connected run it for a while to soften the tape, then place a screwdriver in the fins and twist gently. If you have it disconnected heat it gently with a hair dryer and then twist as above. Once hot it comes off fairly easily.
Hood

OP
q149

q149

btw does putting a good heatsink on it lower your cpu temp any?

Hood

q149
It wont directly lower the CPU temp, but might lower the case temp which in turn may help the CPU.
Hood

Hood

q149
If you want you could possibly pick up a fan from an old pentium CPU and just screw/glue it to the existing heatsink. Just make sure its 12v.
Hood

OP
q149

q149

yeah i think a 50mm fan would screw in the 2 holes and fit perfectly, but i dont have an extra one