• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

passwording folders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Chambers

using winxp pro, is there a way to make it so everytime you access a folder it wont let you in without a password? i need to let other people use my computer at times, but i still dont want them snooping... any ideas?

create a guest account with limited permissions, they won't be able to access anything you don't want them too.

a guest account will work for personal items with the appropriate permissions, but as long as an account that has access to the folder is logged in, there's really nothing that can be done.

also, where's the hardware issue with this? isn't this an OS thing?

There are programs you can get that let you set passwords for different folders. I’ve got one somewhere that came on a cd. I’m not sure if it’s xp compatible though. Try doing a search on the net and see if you can find one.

i wasnst sure where to put this, obviously. so here it is. also, if i create a limited account, i can make it so they cant access explorer or anything like that?

simple solution if you have NTFS set the rights so that only you can use the files, you can give selective ownership to certain folders so they can't access "everything" but only selective files and folders

if you don't have NTFS or are hesitant to use the security features of NTFS (err about a week back i was playing around with them for the first time and i manage to get myself locked out lol, thats to someone on this forum i manage things back but it was funny in a wierd way) than what i suggest is using some third party software such as Folder Guard

btw benefit of using NTFS is

1. They can't access it via booting with DOS

2. They can't access protected files/folders even from command prompt

hope that helps

i haven't tried encrypting

this is what i did

Folder Options -> Use Simple File Sharing (Recomended) its checked by default uncheck it

Right click on your NTFS drive -> properties -> security

you see list of users and their rights on the partition add,remove or adjust according to your needs

baqai said:
i haven't tried encrypting

this is what i did

Folder Options -> Use Simple File Sharing (Recomended) its checked by default uncheck it

Right click on your NTFS drive -> properties -> security

you see list of users and their rights on the partition add,remove or adjust according to your needs

hm.. thats strange i have none of those options that you talk of.. i'm using xp pro and i think you are too.. ?

yes i am running Windows XP Pro, these settings / options come if you are using NTFS partition, but they won't come if you are using a FAT32 partition

baqai said:
here is the image of what you should be getting with a ntfs partition

i dont have that tab at all... ?? hm

[edit] ok now i've got it, i changed some settings. we'll see if this works, thx

Back