• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC acting strange

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J0ker

Registered
So at first I noticed my sound wasn't working on any steam game, but I was able to run them.
Now, none of my games will even load.
I can run kodi and play a movie, but no sound. When I try running my pandora app it will just get stuck loading.
When I run pandora through google chrome it works with sound, youtube also works with sound.

I loaded default bios, same results

Please help, this is extremely frustrating.

bob4933

Interesting, I started having sound issues as well... Ive been basically turning the sound off and on (via driver) and that works so far for me, but still really irritating.

OP
J

J0ker

Registered
But i'll get sound from youtube and running padnora though google chrome, but my padora app won't even load now. Dark souls iii will load and play with no sound. Witcher 3 will get to the main menu but when I try loading a save file i'll just get a blank screen. I have no idea what to even look up for this...

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Have you updated to a new GFX driver recently or have it on auto?

OP
J

J0ker

Registered
Have you updated to a new GFX driver recently or have it on auto?

Nope still on the same update when everything was working. I'm thinking it could be malware, but I did a couple scans and nothing came up. Might have to format my hdd. Really don't want to though -_-

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Hmmm, check the Event logs by chance? See anything odd there?

Z

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked. It's patch Tuesday for M$. I havent installed them yet but I'm about to do so. Perhaps this is the issue??

. . . . . just installed them no issues on this machine.

Last edited:

Johan45

I have that every once in a while but I'm running through an HDMI cable to a multimedia amp. If I restart the amp it's fine. The signal just seems to get lost sometimes.

OP
J

J0ker

Registered
Still haven't figured this out :/

to recap

some of my steam games will work but with no sound, others will freeze during startup.
Kodi will play movies with no sound.
Pandora and netflix app will freeze during startup.
If I run youtube, pandora, and netflix off of google chrome they work fine.

I reinstalled windows and get the same problem..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Johan45

Are you using the mobo or GFX card for the sound and do you have both drivers installed? I've had conflicts with them before.

OP
J

J0ker

Registered
Are you using the mobo or GFX card for the sound and do you have both drivers installed? I've had conflicts with them before.

I have a soundblaster z card and all drivers for sound are disabled except for the card. But this isn't just a sound problem since I have games and apps that will not run.

Did you try running your PC at stock settings?

Yes. I reflashed bios and set everything to factory settings, no luck there

wingman99

Are you having any other strange behavior in windows 10? I'm having strange behavior after the last update surfing the web has caused more trouble and I also was not able to click on shut down, the menu did not open. I don't know if it is because of my recent upgrade CPU, motherboard, memory, or windows 10.

Zantal

Those games and apps might crash trying to reach the audio device.
Try using the integrated audio if you can and remove that card

OP
J

J0ker

Registered
Are you having any other strange behavior in windows 10? I'm having strange behavior after the last update surfing the web has caused more trouble and I also was not able to click on shut down, the menu did not open. I don't know if it is because of my recent upgrade CPU, motherboard, memory, or windows 10.

When I go into settings to log into my Microsoft account it'll just get stuck loading and not do anything.

Those games and apps might crash trying to reach the audio device.
Try using the integrated audio if you can and remove that card

Ok this didn't come to mind since I was getting sound off of youtube, netflix, and pandora of off google chrome. But I yanked out the sound card and switched to integrated and everything started working................. Like i want to cry but I'm also happy I don't have to dump money into parts XD

wingman99

When I go into settings to log into my Microsoft account it'll just get stuck loading and not do anything.

Ok this didn't come to mind since I was getting sound off of youtube, netflix, and pandora of off google chrome. But I yanked out the sound card and switched to integrated and everything started working................. Like i want to cry but I'm also happy I don't have to dump money into parts XD

Glad he was helpful to get your PC fixed.:) Yes I was having strange internet trouble with my web browser and windows yesterday.

Zantal

I have never seen in my whole life one of those dedicated sound cards work flawlessly, at least under windows.

A friend of mine had a soundblaster as well and from time to time it would just turn off on its own

If you really want to use that piece of hardware you could try disabling the integrated audio to see if the problem is related to a conflict.

The real question here is though, Do you really need it and is it worth all the hassle? :p

Last edited:
OP
J

J0ker

Registered
I have never seen in my whole life one of those dedicated sound cards work flawlessly, at least under windows.

A friend of mine had a soundblaster as well and from time to time it would just turn off on its own

If you really want to use that piece of hardware you could try disabling the integrated audio to see if the problem is related to a conflict.

The real question here is though, Do you really need it and is it worth all the hassle? :p

Integrated sound has been disabled since this card was put in, and my speaker setup has dts surround so I use the card for that