• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC finger print reader

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
How long have these been around ? I mean I know they've been out but how long sicne anyone could just buy them ?

Disputant

Can't answer why they havn't taken off in the mainstream, maybe everyone is too busy buying new vidio cards to care. I was looking into some of the devices a year ago for work. Found a couple interesting pages.

Popular types with draw backs:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/computers/peripherals/story/0,2000023513,20266478,00.htm

And a mouse with a finger print reader built in:
http://www.dooraccesscontrol.com/biometric_mouse.htm
http://www.secure-it.com/biolink/ 119.00

Personally I think it is pretty cool technology, but at the same time I can see some privacy issues entering into it when it is used more widespread.

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
its good security for a laptop though :) if someone steals your toy its locked by the FPR :) probably away around it though... like everything else... and if your taking the laptop for infomatinf offa the hdd and nothing else just take the hdd out and have it set as a slave in another l/t and get what u want right ?

Disputant

DDR-PIII said:
its good security for a laptop though :) if someone steals your toy its locked by the FPR :) probably away around it though... like everything else... and if your taking the laptop for infomatinf offa the hdd and nothing else just take the hdd out and have it set as a slave in another l/t and get what u want right ?

I don't believe that anyone can be 100% secure, but I am all for making is more difficult for them. The fingerprint reader would definitely do that, not to mention it would be cool toy to show off in meetings and on business trips. :D

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
yes it would be cool :) even on a home PC i dunno why anyone would have one on a home PC but its still be cool

Disputant

DDR-PIII said:
yes it would be cool :) even on a home PC i dunno why anyone would have one on a home PC but its still be cool

I can think one one very good reason, so the wife can't get to that images directory on the hard drive. :D

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
LOL.... but lucky me haha i dont have one :) lol nor do i have a use for pron ;) haha i've got a g/f though im still a youngin :p im just 19

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
look up the U.are.U personal
its like 60 bucks us

Kaneda

theres one problem with that, essentially your fingerprint is left behind Everywhere... meaning on that machine Also! so what if i just put on my trusty surgical glove shine something on that to see the grease print from your burly paw, and give it a nice press. and there im done. waste of money, as easy as turning the damn laptop on...

turd

I read an article on biometrics and fingerprint that stated that the author was able to easily pass the security taking their own fingerprint and casting it onto a soft rubber finger. They then used that finger to crack fingerprint pass protected systems by placing it on the monitor and repeatedly pressing down and contorting the imprint until they developed an acceptable scan.

So according to that report they basically are not actually that secure. But they sure are cool.

Crash893

Kaneda said:
theres one problem with that, essentially your fingerprint is left behind Everywhere... meaning on that machine Also! so what if i just put on my trusty surgical glove shine something on that to see the grease print from your burly paw, and give it a nice press. and there im done. waste of money, as easy as turning the damn laptop on...

ive got 5 bucks says you will never pull that off

besides being something that happens in the movies
figerprint scanners dont read the greasse on your finger they read the ridges and groves

if you did some how get a good print of of something
and then you managed not to distorte it with the gloves own contors

you would still have to manage not to smush it or smug it when putting it on the sensor and still it probably would not read

Seal

Anywhere know where i can get a decent not too expensive fingerprint reader from the uk?

i think i'd just use it for the windows logon and rely on my trusted memory (brain that is) to store all my other important passwords, after all if you use it for everything my experience is that you will forget your login passwords etc...

frodoski

Disputant said:

Personally I think it is pretty cool technology, but at the same time I can see some privacy issues entering into it when it is used more widespread.

As far as the privacy issue goes there is no personal data being stored. The fingerprint is imaged and then stored as mathmatical algorithim in the device. If anyone were to compromise the reader unit the information would be of no use to them since the data is encrypted by a strong encryption algorithim. Additionaly most of the biometric devices require some other form of credential for validation of the identity of the user (i.e.: a PIN number or an access control credential of some sort).

Disputant

frodoski said:

As far as the privacy issue goes there is no personal data being stored. The fingerprint is imaged and then stored as mathmatical algorithim in the device. If anyone were to compromise the reader unit the information would be of no use to them since the data is encrypted by a strong encryption algorithim. Additionaly most of the biometric devices require some other form of credential for validation of the identity of the user (i.e.: a PIN number or an access control credential of some sort).

I should have explianed myself further on my comments. If this technology becomes more the mainstream, there will probably be a push for other bigger things. I am referring to the day that the government steps in and mandates that everyone must report for finger printing, branding, and to have dna samples taken for identification in any number of ways.

I just don't have the confidence in certain agencies to keep my data safe, nor do I trust the systems checks and balances to use that info. I guess I am entering into an whole other arguement all together now. Sorry for the ot, I still thing biometrics are cool.

Crash893

how is the goverment having your finger print diffent from them giving you a drivers permit

as for the u.are.u it does most of the things you want

it has a encripton setup for files
it does quick log on
a couple more things look at the webstie

Disputant

crash893 said:
how is the goverment having your finger print diffent from them giving you a drivers permit

as for the u.are.u it does most of the things you want

it has a encripton setup for files
it does quick log on
a couple more things look at the webstie

It opens the door for false identification when some piece of M$ software mistakenly ids your fingerprint at a crime scene you were never at.