• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC for USB Virus Scanning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shawy14

Hello all,

I have a little problem at work which I have been trying to sort out for a while now.

My company is deciding to block all memory sticks at the company unless they are virus free, we have already had a few get in this way. Our current antivirus Sophos has just been updated so it now has a USB stick blocking feature. It also gives us the option to unblock them. It doesnt however properly scan each memory stick as soon as it is inserted.

So I had a idea of having a seperate PC which is not on our domain or network which we can put all memory sticks which need to be used into so they can be scanned. I already have the PC so now I need some ideas of the setup we should use?

I was thinking of a Linux option, less chance of the PC itself getting a virus?

Anyways please help me :D.

Thanks

Richard

pcgirl

The PC doesn't need to be anything fancy. Just a basic OS load with current updates as well as a current version of your antivirus loaded. Linux would probably be better if that's an option for you.

If you go with a Windows build, I would suggest turning off the autoplay feature for USB drives:

Start - Run - type "gpedit.msc" (no quotes)

Under Local Computer Policy, select Administrative Templates and then System

Double click on "Turn off autoplay"

Set the radio button to "enabled" and change the "Turn off Autoplay on" to All Drives.

JamesMore

Yep its the auto play feature that is infecting make sure its turned off on this PC, your going to have to have make sure that you keep the pc updated if its not on your network or maybe on a dmz ?