• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC gaming/ rendering / 3d modeling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

garciah53

Hey guys I'm new to the whole computer thing and I am looking for some assistance. My nephew is going to architecture school and he wants a desktop he could use to render quickly, 3d model without lag, and play a few of his favorite games. I went to ibuypower.com and made a custom configuration, let me know what you think.

1 x Case ( Xion Echo Gaming Case - Black )
0 x Case Lighting ( None )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7-3770K )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - Standard 120mm Fan )
1 x Memory ( 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - G.Skill Ripjaws X )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Motherboard ( ASRock Z77 Extreme6 -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0 )
0 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( None )
1 x Power Supply ( 650 Watt - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 - Free Upgrade to 750 Watt Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2 ($20 Savings) )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 240 GB Intel 330 SSD - Single Drive )
1 x Data Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Dual 1TB Drives (1TB Capacity) - RAID 1 Data Security )
1 x Optical Drive ( [12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black )
0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )
0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
0 x Meter Display ( None )
0 x USB Expansion ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-bit )

A link to it would be nice. Lots of the stuff in that list are just marketing bibberish. We want to see the actual Mobo/PSU/Ram/GPU etc etc.

Post a link to it please and the price etc.

1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - Standard 120mm Fan )
No idea what it is, good/bad could be junk.

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 - 2GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
Confusing, 1x but dual cards? He shouldn't need this to render.

1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
So standard sound

1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
So the mobo has it, they all do

1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-bit )
He wants a 64 bit system otherwise his 32 GB of ram is not nearly as good, and I'm sure it's not 64 bit since it's not mentioned. An Office package with Word, Powerpoint, Excel is good. Basic one? not sure if that is enough for College.

We's just need more info.

You're going to pay significantly more versus building it yourself.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Back