• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC keeps freezing after gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fanavis

Hello there, so 2 days ago i bought new parts for my PC because my previous one was not functioning almost at all as it was old as well.
I bought a new:

Mobo : Asus rog strix z390-e gaming
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2666 hz 8x2 kit
Case: Meshify S2 — Fractal Design
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro
-----------------------------------------
My old parts are

GPU : Asus rog strix 1080 (OC) from the manufacture
PSU: Corsair HX 850i
SSD : Samsung 850 Evo
HDD: 3TB ( forgot which one though )

Now after i got up and running (also to mention that the Case has a Nexus+ PWM fan hub that supports up to nine fans and so i connected the cooler fans there cause it's easier as the mobo doesn't provide many to install onto.)
I overclocked the PC and tried for 5Ghz same settings as another PC i had with the same parts except the case and mobo is z390-f gaming.
The PC was unstable , will get BSOD but then i found my own settings and also lowered the temps as low as possible , around 75 degrees , however there were some spikes at 80 sometimes for 1 second, usually when opening programs, I was concerned why is that happening since the other PC doesn't have such problems as it stays at 5Ghz with very low temps around 70 being the highest.
Either way i left it like that and after i finished all the burn tests I went right straight to game.
I opened 2 heavy games, they worked nicely without lag at all, however after maybe 10 minutes on one of the games, the PC will completely freeze , and that's when i restart and try to lower the settings of my OC like voltage etc etc.
It didn't worked still will freeze.
Then I reset everything and tried again without OC and anything touched.
It did not work , the freeze will happen again and again.
I also left the PC open last on idle and default BIOS just to see if it's going to happen or not, and it was fine this morning until i started gaming.

My apologies for the long text.
Thank you for your time.

Did you do a clean install of Windows when you changed the motherboard and did you get and install the latest chipset drivers for the new motherboard from the motherboard manufacturer?

When you lowered the overclock frequency down from 5 ghz you state you also lowered the voltages. I would try maybe 4.8 ghz (all cores) on the overclock and leave the voltages the same as they were at 5 ghz. From what I can tell with the temp figures you have supplied, overheating has not been the issue. As long as you keep it below 90c you will be fine. My best guess would be you don't have enough core voltage to be stable.

Also, experiment some with your Load Line Calibration setting to make sure voltage isn't dropping too much under load. And then, take a look at the AVX offset tool in bios that lowers the frequency when AVX instructions sets are encountered.

The other thing is you need to do a more systematic job of stress testing using tools that made for that purpose so that you establish stability before using the PC for gaming. Let me suggest using the Realbench stress test for 3 hours and also AID64 Extreme for 5 hours. If you can find a configuration that will pass those stress tests for the length of time I have specified you should be okay.

Last edited:
Not sure what hd or capacity you are using. Is it the 850evo? My guess is if you are oc'ing and gaming you will be thrashing the hd a bit. I recently invested in a qnap nas which can handle all kinds of drives. Namely nvme's and m.2's plus the std ssd and sata's. Apparently in order for all the drives to work well together for long periods, it is a server box, I need to eventually configure over provisioning on any ssd's I install. This means I must set aside a major portion of the ssd space so that it does not work harder at write backs and whatnots (lol). As much as 50 or even 60% (of the hd space), starting at 10% or so, so that the over provisioning is eased into. All this does is make them faster because there is no wait time to flush a portion to write/read from and in effect makes them last longer as well. In fact any enterprise type drives will automatically be over provisioned more than the regular consumer models for this very reason. The samsung magician software for windows has an over provision tab just for this reason.
The qnap has an over provision ability by allowing me to monitor disk usage and then giving me, if you will, an optimal suggested setting so that throughput (and longevity-TOC) is maximized across the disks.
Not saying this is your problem but I thought I might mention it. If you are working with but one disk then it is simple. I have to install more disks, run some softwares, analyze it, and then change settings accordingly. But to be sure I will start with 10 and move up from there. I don't care if the disk space is cut in half as long as it works better faster longer.
And no doubt your disks are the slowest part of the system in a standard desktop configuration.
I don't know how hard it is to get 5Ghz on your rig but to be sure you want it stable no matter what game you play.
I just bought a 500gb 860evo to replace the 128gb 840evo msata I've been using since I built my desktop. Only just recently have I got any lockups or bluescreens and I am pretty sure i can nail it down to the evo's controller, especially since I never even knew what the hell over provisioniong was. It still works fine but certain things now lock my system up which really shouldn't. In any case, even if I give it half the space to 'provision' itself, I'll still have twice the space I did before and it should last a lot longer.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers.
Now it seems that the PC freezes only on one game specifically i run other games together without issues at all , so it might not be the PC .
I even OC it back to 5Ghz and lowered the temps to 75 Celsius , so far everything works like a charm except that specific game.
I will update in case the PC freezes again though.

Maybe the game doesn't like to lose. I don't game. I'd much rather learn solidworks or do some video encoding. Lol, 75C is not lowered.
I was going to put a heatsink on the new msata but I think that by over provisioning it I will never need it. I am putting ones on my m.2's and my nvme's have a huge sink with a fan attached.

Last edited:
I didn't clean install windows cause i don't see a reason, i did it on other PC and it works perfectly fine. I don't think that's the case here anyway.
I tried today again and seems after o open multiple games the PC freezes or alt tab a lot.

I didn't clean install windows cause i don't see a reason
Replacing a motherboard (which, typically requires a new OS license, BTW - to be be legal since OEM licenses are not transferable to upgraded motherboards, ever) involves replacing many (often dozens!) hardware drivers. For this reason, I'm with trents and suggest a clean OS install whenever replacing a motherboard (except - maybe - if the board is an exact brand and model replacement).

At the very least - for now - I would reset the BIOS. I would also check the board's website for a more current BIOS. If you still have this problem after a total BIOS update/reset, I would pull the motherboard and verify you don't have an extra standoff under the board. Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. And there is no industry standard dictating that motherboards will have mounting holes. The standard only says "if" the motherboard has a mounting hole, it will be in a specific place.

What this means is it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoffs in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical "short" in one or more circuits. The result ranges from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to "intermittent" problems to "nothing" (nothing works at all :().

Replacing a motherboard (which, typically requires a new OS license, BTW - to be be legal since OEM licenses are not transferable to upgraded motherboards, ever) involves replacing many (often dozens!) hardware drivers. For this reason, I'm with trents and suggest a clean OS install whenever replacing a motherboard (except - maybe - if the board is an exact brand and model replacement).

At the very least - for now - I would reset the BIOS. I would also check the board's website for a more current BIOS. If you still have this problem after a total BIOS update/reset, I would pull the motherboard and verify you don't have an extra standoff under the board. Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. And there is no industry standard dictating that motherboards will have mounting holes. The standard only says "if" the motherboard has a mounting hole, it will be in a specific place.

What this means is it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert one or more extra standoffs in the case under the motherboard. Any extra standoff creates the potential for an electrical "short" in one or more circuits. The result ranges from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to "intermittent" problems to "nothing" (nothing works at all :().

I was thinking of doing a fresh installation but i did exactly the same on all my previous PCs and had no problem so i doubt this is the case.
I also upgraded from a very old laptop to the same PC but not for me.
The bios are up to date and the problem was there even before the BIOS update .
and I made sure there are no extra standoff under the board.
The problem is still there :(

Just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will now or is the best way. I also suggest a fresh OS install when swapping motherboards.

Just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will now or is the best way. I also suggest a fresh OS install when swapping motherboards.

True that and i agree always to fresh install.
However I see no reason for it to actually freeze because of that, would love to avoid Fresh installation as I don't have any external device to install windows for the moment.

If the reason for computer problems was "easy to see", I doubt tech support forums would exist.

That said, we have already provided you a typical reason - motherboard/chipset drivers. Freezing is often caused by hardware issues and hardware issues are often caused by corrupt or incorrect drivers or driver settings - any of which can be resolved with a fresh install.

That said, since you say now it only happens with one game, and other apps work fine, I would suspect that game.

True that and i agree always to fresh install.
However I see no reason for it to actually freeze because of that, would love to avoid Fresh installation as I don't have any external device to install windows for the moment.

You can create your own installer from the Microsoft media creation tool website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

All you need is a 16gb or larger flash drive. You can also create a bootable DVD installer from the ISO on that same website. Just right click on the downloaded ISO file and choose "Burn" from the menu.

Alright seems like reinstalling OS fixed the issues , no more freezing at all.
Thank you everyone for your comments and your time you used to help me.
I'll keep in touch in case more problems occur :D

Glad you seem to have resolved the issue. We hope you hand around as part of the community.

Back