• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc lock up during games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

Ive noticed, after playing Neverwinter Nights and UT2k3 with all the eye candy on, etc...my system likes to come to a complete halt...I have to power down and back up in order to do anything, ctrl-alt-dlt doesn't work, nor does minimizing...

Is this the graphics card overheating from all of the eye-candy? or something else. Its only done it a few times, but its annoying, nontheless

OP
G

gravitywell

don't know, and don't know...I've tried three or four different temp monitoring programs...and none of them work properly with my mobo :( if anyone has suggestions to that, let me know

john240sx

i don't know anything about that mobo so i can't help you there.

next time it locks up you can check the processor temp in the Bios, it won't cool down that fast so it should be pretty accurate.

Bull

Sounds like the video card might be overheating to me. I've had this happen when a fan wasn't spinning properly on the card. I have a temperature probe hooked to the video card and around 49 degrees seem to be my average temp. Make sure your video card is not to hot to the touch. I've heard the geforce 4 ti's run pretty hot. Sisoft Sandra will tell you your temp if no other program is working for you but chances are it might not work either. You can get many programs at Guru 3d .

asw7576

Maybe this could help....

1. Try to run the game in default setting of everything. No overclock at all[B/].
2. If the game is running smoothly, then stability was a problem then. You can overclock step by step until the crash problem occur again.
3. If the game keep on crashing even at default setting, you have two alternatives: re-install windows and games with the most appropriate drivers, and / or add more heatsinks to the VGA's DDR modules and DC/DC voltage IC generators.

good luck....