• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Shutting Off When Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChronoCabal

Hi All! :)

I'm hoping you guys can help. For a while now, when running particularly intensive games (No Man's Sky and Dragon Age:Inquisition are the biggest culprits), my PC will just randomly cut power and self reboot, with no error warnings. I suspect either a bad power supply, or possibly overheating. I haven't flushed my coolant loop in a while, I must admit. I've been tickering with a program called OCCT which it giving me some detailed reports on CPU temps and power supply voltages, but I'm not fully sure what to be looking for.

Would anyone care to weigh in, please? :)

The temps are within an OK range. What happens if you set everything back to stock?

Does it happen when running a benchmark like 3DMark or Unigene Heaven on repeat?

My guess is power supply, possibly followed by a capacitor problem on the motherboard if one has popped (pretty unusual by today's standards, but possible).

The temps are within an OK range. What happens if you set everything back to stock?

Does it happen when running a benchmark like 3DMark or Unigene Heaven on repeat?

My guess is power supply, possibly followed by a capacitor problem on the motherboard if one has popped (pretty unusual by today's standards, but possible).
where I would start as well. Cooler Master power supplies I don't recall being great, but plenty serviceable.

Memory typically doesn't cause the pc to reboot with a bluescreen. With that in mind, check the event logs and see what they say.

you know when I had my Tri-fire 4890's my system was doing the samething and I had a 1000w psu and my PSU was causing the monitor to turn off, and it as all cause of a loose pin in the PSU shorting out , I was lucky it didn't take nothing with it

Sounds like a PSU problem or CPU. The CPU will kill the computer if it exceeds the max temp limit, but it sounds like you covered that, so maybe PSU, connector or wire issue. I doubt it's memory. Memory wont turn the computer off. I could pull out a stick right now and that would cause a BSOD, not a complete power off. I could even disconnect the HD or GPU, and not even that would cause the motherboard to actually turn off. The only things that I know of that will actually cause the mobo to turn off are the CPU, the PSU or wires/ connectors, or the mobo itself. If your computer has a reset button, check that to make sure it's working right and the wires are not messed up.

Back