• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Upgrade, Temperatures not Reported Properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobo99

Registered
Hey guys, (all temperatures in Celsius)

I had a M4A78-Plus and AM3 Phenom II 955 with DDR2-800 8GB of ram in an Antec 300. The heat-sink is a noctua U12P SE2 in a push-pull config.

I had this overclocked to 3.7 GHZ no voltage increase, however wanted more flexibility and "better" ram, so I went out and got the Asus Formula IV and 8GB of DDR3-1333. (G-Skill) (2x2GB x 2) I was feeling happy for Christmas and got a NZXT Phantom while I was at it.

Switched over the processor and the heat sink, into the new case with the new mobo and ram.

To my surprise I just plugged in the SSD with my M4A78 OS, and booted into windows on the new board. It detected a few new drivers and bla bla bla, everything runs just dandy now.

The temps with my old overclock were around 33 idle, and 45, 46 degrees C under full load, F@H. (The Antec had 3 120mm intakes, 2 120mm on the Noctua, 1 120mm out, and 1 140mm out)

Since I moved to this new board and case the first thing I noticed was INSANELY high temperatures "reported" by the motherboard.

Currently I'm running at 3.7 Ghz, just multiplier increase, no voltage, on the Asus Formula.

Motherboard says idle temps are..68 degrees, and full load temps occur at 89 degrees C.:bang head (smiley is indicative of what I am doing)

Now in all honesty the new case hasn't gotten all the fan upgrades from the old Antec, however IDLE can not be that high, and LOAD caps out at 89.

I have checked that the heat sink is seated properly, and it is. I've read that these boards have an offset, but my offset is in the range of 40 degrees.

What has even started happening in stress tests is that the either the CPU thinks, or the motherboard thinks that it is actually at 90 degrees and has started downclocking itself to 4x200=800MHz CPU core.

Other than the fact that the upgrade seems to have not helped at all, any suggestions on ... anything ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
what are you using to measure temps? what kind of TIM did you use? did you reuse the old tim?

TIM (thermal..paste?) I used the stuff that came with the noctua "NT-H1" it says on the tube.

I cleaned the CPU with nailpolish remover, and cleaned the noctua, reapplied new paste, and mated the two.

For temps, i'm using everything under the Sun.

AMD Overdrive, Core Temp, HWmonitor, they all read the same amount. I incorporated an offset of 15, even 20 degrees, but am still getting ridiculous temperatures.

For example, if I start a wprime 32M trial, should take about 12 seconds.

With the new board, in 5 seconds, temperature rises from "60" idle to "90"... which is too fast.

After about 7 seconds the processor hits 90, and down-clocks itself, and the trial takes about 20 seconds :S

well, I know that your temps are being read wrong, because the CPU will shut off at 72c because that's the highest it can handle, so I'm thinking your TJMax is being read wrong....but I'm not an amd guy so I can't really help you much further than that.

Thanks for the attempt. Even tried to tell the BIOS to ignore the temperatures, to not auto throttle. Cool n quiet and all that junk are all off, of course.

hmmm.. It still claims that the core temps are at 76, while "CPU temp" is at 57...
return the board... ? Have 14 days for a direct replacement...

cpu temp is being read from the socket...don't worry about that one. Have you tried reseating the cooler? I still think it's something to do with your TJMax setting...

"Tjmax setting", is located where? Core Temp says TJmax= 90.
Right now I'm running at 3.7 @ 1.39V at an alleged 80 degrees.

(on another note, overclocking on this board seems more difficult, before i was just say x20 multiplier @ 1.51V and that would get me 4.0Ghz, this board not so much. If i overclock with just multiplier, RAM isn't affected right, so why is it not handling it on this seemingly better board:S ? )

tjmax for that chip is not 90, the programs you're using to measure temps are calibrated incorrectly...I don't know what the correct setting is for AMD chips though.

Yes! Heatsink is just as warm as I remember it being, and the air coming out of it is warm! Its doing its job.

Remounting is the last resort. As m0r7if3r said, the CPU core can't be at 85, or 75 even as the processor would be shutting down.

I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like you have a good mount, but if it were my computer I think I'd remount it anyway. If you have a good mount and heat is being pulled off the heatsink and yet your temps are still being reported that high, I guess I'd look into some forums about that Asus motherboard specifically. If an answer can't be found, I'd RMA the motherboard. Somebody else might have better advice.

Thanks Wayward. I'll try the remount tomorrow maybe.. although these temperatures are ludicrous.

I didn't pay attention to it and went into the BIOS, and north-bridge is showing 57 at idle...
SB at 39.... I thought I was buying a "better" board than my M4A78PLus (89$ on sale)

All I've gotten are higher temperatures, less overclocking, and faster ram.
Thats about it...

Hey Conumdrum, latest version of coretemp says 51 idle, 89 load... will try a reseat of the heatsink later on today...

Should the northbridge really be at 60 as well ?

No, northbridge on the motherboard shouldn't be anywhere near 60. What is your room temperature and how much actual airflow do you have in your case right now?

Asus chipsets (at least on the intel side) run pretty hot these days because of the TIM they use on them.

Room temperature is around 22-23.

Case fan configuration as of now is two 120 mm intakes, (which may not be really giving the CPU much) 2x120mm on the CPU in a push pull, 1x120mm out, and 1 200mm out above the push pull. See attached picture, I will try a re-seat of the cooler later on in the day, but yea...

(see attached picture for exact cooling outline)

Attachments

• DSC03750.jpg
    DSC03750.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 81
Back