• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc wont power on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johneydontdie

So i took my computer apart the other night so that i could clean the heat sink and suck and when i put it all back into the case the computer wouldn't power on. i have all the connections in place the right way an the board light comes on. But it wont turn on. When i fit the power button the ps fan turns on and wll run for hours but no light when i try to get it to run. If any one can help me then that would be great!!!

Thanks
Johney

OP
J

johneydontdie

of i thought i would mention that i have looked around to find this answer and thought that you guys might know whats going on with it and i'm sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.

tinymouse2

:welcome:

Have you removed the heatsink again and checked the CPU is properly secured? Also does anything happen when you press the power button? Anything at all?(other than the PSU fan spinning)

Have you checked the RAM is seated properly? Checked that the cooler fan is plugged in properly?

Also have you tried to boot it with the bare minimum? [Mobo, CPU, CPU fan, GPU, 1 stick of RAM, PSU, keyboard (if your mobo gets funny)]

OP
J

johneydontdie

thanks for responding. yes i am booting bar min. all i have in is psu cpu graphics card. i made sure that the cpu was in place. all that i am getting is the on board light is running and the power supply fan runs but very slowly

psionic98

w/o ram the system would make some beeping noises unlike the normal 1 beep you get on a successful boot..

OP
J

johneydontdie

yeah i have the ram in it, but the board wont run anything. i have the on board led and that is shining but other then that nothing everything is pluged in the way it should be. i even tried moving the ram to a different slot.

psionic98

you said you cleaned the system.. id make sure theres no lingering anything that might be touching any posts etc within the system.. if you used air to blow things out you could have lodged something between 2 posts of a capacitor etc thats causing a short..

last time i cleaned the pos system in my sig I had to reinstall windows cause for some very very odd reason.. the system wouldn't boot into a stable environment when nothing changed.. very stupid this M$ crap!

OP
J

johneydontdie

this is really eritating it's not turning on at all i took it all apart and put it all together on the table and tried to turn it on and nothin at all. any other advice do you think it might be like my 20 pin of something

tinymouse2

Made sure when everything's on the table that you have cardboard underneath? (or similar non conductive material)

I find a hammer works pretty well...

But like psionic98 said. Since your not putting a lot of strain on the computer when just booting it have you got a spare PSU from a 300W upwards? Or anyone you can borrow one off. Since your motherboard is actually responding (the blue LED) but not getting any further sounds like your mobo could be permanently deaded =(

Hopefully this isn't the case but if it is then RMA it if it's still in warranty. If you can't RMA it beat the crap out of it for being a broken motherboard, it's its own fault.

OP
J

johneydontdie

sadely the computer is a dell(i know they suck but it's all that i have) and i don't have another dell computer laying around that i can use the psu out of

antipesto93

is anything shorting out? are there standoffs installed ( to make sure the back of the motherboard dosent touch the case

does the psu turn on at all? try 'jump starting it' (google jump start psu)

when you press the power button you say the psu fan turns on, do the other fans connected to molex's turn on? if not its 99% a psu problem

OP
J

johneydontdie

the fans on the psu turns on and the fans connected to it turn on and the hard drive turns on however the onboard fan for the cpu will not turn on. so then that must mean it's a board problem

tinymouse2

Sounds more and more like a mobo problem. Is it still in warranty? If so get it back there sharpish! If not then hitting it with a hammer has a slim chance of fixing it. Worth a shot though

Marshmallow64

Yea if the rest of the computer is on it probably has something to do with the power supply and mobo. See if you are missing any connections to the mobo.

OP
J

johneydontdie

from what i have found the hard drive spins up the ram get warm the cpu gets warm the whole thing gets warm like it's running i am going to see if it gets into windows if it does then i think it is a video problem with my agp card
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no it isn't in warenty i got it a few months ago used it's a dell dimension 4600 from back in 05 so yeah sadely it's no good there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thank you guys for the help if any one has any other ideas it would be great to hear
peace