• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc wont start after installing radeon r7 240

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ABiysAD

Registered
hi. dont know if this thread is the same as this one, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709955. so i just post a new one.

been posting the same problem at other site but no answer yet. so i try my luck here ;)

i just bought amd radeon r7 240 2gb ddr3. at first i want to buy the nvidia geforce gt 630 2gb ddr3. i was told that the graphic card didnt fit my pc because of my pc small size. my pc is acer aspire x3995.

the technician insert the graphic card and my pc wont boot. no display with 4 beep. no solution so brought home the pc and google/check what causes the 4 beep.

4 beep mean something wrong with the ram. my pc have 2 2gb ram slot, altogether 4gb. so i removed the front 2gb slot and the pc turn pc start normally. i guess the removed ram is broken. now my pc hav only 2gb ram.

i insert the graphic card, restart and install the driver cd. it says please install vga card. i assume i didnt insert the graphic card firmly. when i successfully insert the graphic card, my pc wont start. not even 1 beep. cpu and graphic card fan spinning. monitor light is orange, no display. i removed the graphic card again and my pc start normally.

so whats wrong with my pc? is it because of my pc only have 2gb ram or my motherboard is not compatible with the graphic card? or anything else? from the post i came across earlier, should i disable or uninstall the intel hd graphic? i dont know much about bios.

thanks

already tried to disable the intel display. amber light. uninstall intel display. amber light. standard vga still amber light. now i dont know how to revert back the standard back to intel hd display.

I've seen two different recommendations for a system PSU when installing this card, 400 watts and 600 watts. Not that it would be needed at idle but your system will perform a POST and the power surge is probably not a happy moment for your system protection. Your Acer Aspire X3995 shows a maximum of 220 watts power supply. (http://www.acer.ae/ac/en/AE/content/model-datasheet/DT.SJLEM.035)

So, it looks like you need more power.

Same thought here: lack of power available on the +12V rail.
The PSU is sold as a 220W unit. I assume this is one more time a weird-calculated combined power and that the 12V rail max around 150W (no info on it= pure guess).
I've found that the original GPU is a GT 605 with a 25W TDP. Would the PSU really have 220W on the 12V rail it would be a strange overkill by the OEM (i3 65W, GT 605 25W, rest of the system ~40W -> 130W maximum).
OEM PSU like this tends also to be pure junk, I recommend first you change the PSU for a quality one.

Best choices IMHO:
Seasonic G360
Corsair CX-430

lol big words there :D only understand that i have to upgrade for more power. noticed that the recommended requirements minimum 400w (12v current rating 24a) and 3gb system memory. that means i have to buy a new psu now. i thought upgrading a graphic card means buying, insert, install and voila, u can play latest game. spend 120 for nothing. the technician didnt even care to notice the graphic card need more power or ram. that **** me off.

mostly psu here is coolermaster. anything with 400w above is ok? hope that comes cheap. how do i check if the new psu fit for my small pc? and should i worried about my 2gb ram? gonna upgrade that soon.

Could you post a picture of your case (the inside) so that we could see which format your actual PSU is (TFX, ATX, etc...)
Low power Coolermaster PSU are usually junk, avoid them! The new V series from Coolermaster is great (they are all rebranded Seasonic :D), but it starts around 600W so way overkill in your case.

Look for the Corsair CX-430 if you're thight on budget, it is the cheapest and best choice in entry level. The seasonic G360 is even better, but a little more expensive so you would already be happy going with the Corsair :)

Measure the size of your PSU in your case, so that we can tell you which QUALITY PSU could replace it.

That is a 75W card at most guys... while the PSU is likely garbage, that is a low powered card. A quality 550W PSU is enough to power any single GPU and CPU. Go that route or save some money and get a CX430 as suggested above.

The last thing you want to do is to get a "cheap" power supply.

my bad. im confused with psu and the fan :shrug: this is the psu right? the box connected to the black plug.. or should i post the more of the left side?

Attachments

• 20131029_202934.jpg
    20131029_202934.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 4,602
Ahah! 14A for the +12V rail, it does 12*14= 168W, I wasn't that far with my 150W estimation :D
Even though, it is still not guaranteed that this PSU can deliver 168W on the +12V rail...
The power consumption of your system with the R7 is around 180W so I guess that's it. :shrug:

Could you still measure the size of the PSU so that we could find you a good one that would fit inside your case? :)

psu shape n dimensions. u need the pin also?

Attachments

• 20131030_153158.jpg
    20131030_153158.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 4,465
  • 20131030_152429.jpg
    20131030_152429.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 4,548
Ok, so two points:

1) The PSU needs to be changed, this one should fit inside your case:
Seasonic SS-350M

It is a server grade unit but it can be used in your own computer without any issue. You have no PCIe connector coming with this unit so make sure your video card doesn't need any :) (it is a 6pin-plug on the side of your video card).

2) Just to be sure the issue doesn't come from anything else than the PSU: did you connect your DVI connector (or whatever you're using to connect to the screen) to your motherboard or directly to the one available on the video card? If you insert a video card, only those connectors have to be used.

Back