• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc wont turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psyte

my computer has turned itself off and will not turn back on when i press the power button. I presume it is not the fuse because i have used a separate power lead and it makes no difference. The LED on the motherboard is on and so again i presume it is not a power supply problem. I have checked all connections and cleaned any dust out of my machine, there are no parts earthing the motherboard and i fear a circuitry or hard disk failure. The computer is 4 months old and all parts were bought new.. please help.

psyte

Ok, Pull out your RAM and swap them around into different slots....

Try maybe pulling the Battery out or the BIOS reset Jumper...

Take out/Unplug anything you don't need... e.g. Network cards, sound cards... Leave your Video card in.... Then fire up the computer... get back to us if that doesn't work

It could be a power supply issue.

Also

It could be that your power button isn't working properly. If you unplug the switch on the mainboard, you can then short the jumpers with a screw driver. Just touch the leads and let them go. Once to turn it on, and once again to turn it off.

When you say "turned itself off" did it shutdown through windows automatically, or did it crash down to power off? There is an important difference. If it spontaneously shut down through windows, it could be virus related. If it crashed down, it could be power supply, heat, cpu, or mobo related.
What type of mobo and cpu do you have, and what cooler are you using?

Welcome to the forums!

Try everything others have said here, and if it still isn't working, swap out the power supply. If it still doesn't work, I'm inclined to think it's a motherboard problem. But it really sounds like a power supply issue.

Start simple. Before you go taking all sorts of parts out and stuff try this. Unplug the power cord from the back of the power supply and let it sit for a few minutes, then plug it back in and try again. I have had this happen a few times where my PC just wouldn't boot up anymore but I could se that it had power because of the LED on the board. Removed the power from the supply and then plugged it back in and good as new. I assume it is some sort of like circuit breaker type thing that trips in my power supply and it doesn't reset until you remove the power source from it. Works for me when this happens, hope it works for you.

Ok, specs are:

ICI 6310 Nokia Style Silver ATX Case with 300w PSU.
A7N8X Deluxe SKT A NForce2 Chipset Motherboard VER: 2.0
256 DDR400 PC3200 Extra Value Ram x2
Seagate Barracuda 80Gb 7200rpm UDMA100 Hard Drive - OEM
Tornado GeForce4 Ti4200 AGPx8 64MB DDR TV+Out
AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton Retail Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan

The computer turned itself off without shutting down. I have up to date virus software and was not connected to the internet for at least 2 weeks previous to the incident. I have tried re-arranging all components and shorting the power switch pins and Resetting cmos (including removing the battery) with no avail. The only other thing i can think of is to use my hardware in other machines to test each part individually unless anyone has any other ideas...
Much appreciated all

Instead of moving your parts to other machines, try a different power supply first as mentioned above. That's easier to do.

Back