• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC wouldn't boot...had to do some modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Arggg, i just spent 7 hours getting my PC back up and going! AND i have to do something *special* to get my computer to turn on from now on...

So, let me tell you guys the story.

So, i turned off my PC when i left work, due to my fathers request. Fine, so i shut down the PC via Start->Shutdown. a proper shutdown.

I get home from work, press my power button...nothing happens. Hmm..i check the wires, all good, try again..nothing. I check my surge protector(s), again everything is fine. So i unplug and turn off the PSU for a few min, plug it all back in, and again...nothing. I was getting the little yellow Standby led to light up, but that was all.

Ok, time for some testing...

First, i jump the green wire to a black wire on my 20 pin PSU cable. Fans spin, and everything works. Ok.....now i'm confused. PSU is working, yet the motherboard won't get power....

Sooo, i then take the PC out to the kitchen, take everything off the PSU's rails, except for a few fans, i leave the motherboard plugged in, with all the 12 volt power inputs plugged in, and had the +4 pins plugged in ( the part of the 24 pin hookup ). I left the HDD's unplugged. So, i jump the green wire again...Power gets sent to the motherboard, powering up all the fans. And 2 of these fans were connected to the motherboards 3pin adapters. 1 fan was connected directly to a PSU's molex.

ok, so i bust out the DMM. I check the 5 volt, and 3 volt rails...everything looks good. so i figure its GOT to be something with the damn motherboard not closing the circuit to the green PSU wire.

By this time, quite a few hours had passed, due to trouble shooting, and a trip to walmart to buy a new DMM, because we lost our old one.

Sooo, i then proceed to take the PSU's 20 pin cable, and about 6 inches away from the plugin, i slowly, and carefully cut away a small strip of the plastic coating around the green wire, and around a black wire ( for ground ). I stripped the plastic all the way around, and have about...3 millimeters worth of wire on the green and black wire exposed. ( i say 3 millimeters as a guess, HAD to be less than 5mm ).

So then, i proceed to take a computer power-switch ( aka: a momentary power switch...the kind that when you press it, the button bounces back into its normal state, And i used a momentary power switch, because i didn't have a permanent power switch on hand ). I take the wires from the switch, and splice them to the green and black wires from the PSU.

I then plug the 20 pin cable back into the motherboard. And instead of hitting the regular power button, i pressed and held the switched i spliced onto the PSU. I kept it held, and viola! the PC boots up!

Now, my Motherboard has a built in Power and Reset switch. I got to thinking...

While i was holding down the switch i spliced, after about 2 seconds, i hit the power button on my motherboard, and let go of the switch...and bam...the computer stays up and working!

So then i plug everything back together, move the PC back into my room, hook up the HDD's, and the monitors.

I then grab the switch, Press and hold the button for about 2 seconds, then push the power button on my motherboard, let go of the switch...and YAY computer is back up and working, so then i proceed to OC forums to tell everyone my grand adventure to bring my PC back to life, after 7 hours of surgery!

So yeah....i'm not sure WHY the motherboard isn't working right. All i know is that its not closing the circuit from the green wire, to turn the PSU on. So, whenever i boot up my machine, i have to hold that momentary switch for about 2 seconds, then hit the power button on my computer.

At least i know that not another single soul will ever turn my PC on! they will NEVER figure it out! :soda:

if some of the stuff i have said seems weird, or hard to understand...just ask, and hopefully, i can explain farther. Right now, its 7am for me. been up for nearly 20 hours now, and went from working at work, to spending 7 hours working on my computer...so i'm a bit tired.

OP
zexmarquies01

zexmarquies01

That's DFI for damn buggy boards :mad:

Heh, the thing is, this is the 1st time i'v ever had any problem with a DFI board at all. I never had a problem with cold booting, or anything. This is like my 3rd DFI board. ( none of the other 2 died...i just changed mobo's when i upgraded ).

But hey, at least i showed that buggy DFI board who's the BOSS!!!