• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC133 for an old system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

My cousin wants to upgrade his memory from 64mb by adding a 256mb stick. I know it uses SDRAM and PC133 is the same as PC100 and PC66 in terms of price and everything so I'll have him order that. However, I was going to get this stuff from PC Wonder Inc:
http://pcwonderinc.com/25pc32sdramh.html
But should I instead get this stuff which PC Wonder claims to be more compatable:
http://pcwonderinc.com/25pc32sdrams.html

I'm not a newb to computing, but I've always though SDRAM was SDRAM and as long as you get PC133 it'll run at 133mhz, 100mhz and 66mhz fine on any board....this compatability thing is new to me and I don't want to leave my cousin with a bad stick of 256mb RAM.

BTW he's using an old HP...not sure the model, it's just really old.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
There was a point, and I'm not exactly sure where it was, where the newer PC133 ram was no longer backward compatible with PC100. It may be that the difference is the "high" vs "low" density referenced in those product adds. I have some old PC133 from Kingston that specifically states on the package that it is not backwards compatible with PC100, however, I thought that it was compatible with earlier PC133.

Just what ram does your cousing currently have on his HP? Is is PC100/66 or is it PC133?

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Side comment,

I see in your sig that you have TwinMos PC3700. Do you happen to know, or anybody else for that matter, where some of that ram could be had???

RJARRRPCGP

Reefa_Madness said:
I have some old PC133 from Kingston that specifically states on the package that it is not backwards compatible with PC100, however, I thought that it was compatible with earlier PC133.

I dunno about that, because I have some Kingston PC133 SDRAM and it definitely is backwards compatible with PC100 bandwidth speeds, because it was the same RAM I was using with my K6-2 450 mhz processor with Soyo SY-5EMAx, before upgrading to an Athlon T-bird 900 mhz processor with the Soyo SY-K7VTA-B motherboard back in June, 2001. Even with my Athlon T-bird motherboard, by default, it will run the SDRAM at only 100 mhz.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
I did not state that all Kingston PC133 was not backwards compatible, just that at some point, the newer stuff was not. It does not specifically state it on the packaging, as I originally posted...that was my mistake, however I have read along the way stuff that has referenced this.

Below is a link to newegg for KVR PC133 256MB stick, please note the comment directly following the Warranty information. It states that the product will NOT work with older motherboards, to use only with boards supporting 32x8 chipsets (vs 16x8 chipsets). Evidently, one of the two products linked above will support older boards and one will not.

My guess is that the odds are that if it is an older HP, it will not have the needed chipset support.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-136-009&depa=1

Last edited:

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Thanks for the link...based on the comments I read on page #92...yeah, page #92, he is out of the stuff that I would have been interested in, however, Gautam's lead appears to be a good one. I'm just coming to my senses, as I need more ram like I need..., well, you get the picture. I have more than enough. I like to play around with different stuff on different boards so it seems that I'm always in the market. Sometime in the not too distant future I will have to change from being a consumer to a vendor. That or find myself a really good divorce attorney.