• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI ATA card, which one to choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i2fast4u

Registered
I am looking to add an ATA 133 PCI controller to my server. What I need is some advice on what one overclocks the best and how reliable it is. Its fast now, and I think the addition of ATA 133 will really give it a kick. Thanks

David

Forums Super Moderator
Would ATA100 be enough? Is ATA133 worth the extra money?

Remember ATA133 is only a theoretical 133MB/s. It is unlikely that this speed will be reached as 133MB/s is the theoretical max transfer rate of the PCI bus.

OP
i2fast4u

i2fast4u

Registered
I think so

I am expecting to keep upgrading so I would like to keep the window open so when the hard drives become faster, I will be ready for the maximum capacity bandwith and still keep everything running for the current configuration.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I think there is a new ATA version in the pipeline - ATA133 has reached its limits.

If you want a really speedy server you need SCSI, RAID or both.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Re: I think so

i2fast4u said:
I am expecting to keep upgrading so I would like to keep the window open so when the hard drives become faster, I will be ready for the maximum capacity bandwith and still keep everything running for the current configuration.

Well if that is the case serial ATA is coming, with speeds of 150, 300 and 600 MB/sec. All ata and SCSI as we know it will be replaced with this technology, 1-2 years. If you want raid now, I recommend the Promise TX2000, smokin fast!