• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E 2.0 speeds? Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slipknot7676

I am not fairly new to building custom PCs but I don't understand the way they describe motherboard PCI-E 2.0 speeds the board I am looking at says the speeds are 1 x PCIe x16, 1 x PCIe x8/x16, 1 x PCIe x8. What does that all mean? I'm confused as to if it means if one slot is cabable of 16x only while another is cabable of 16x/8x and the third is only cabable of 8x. Or is when one is being used as 16x you have another capable of 16x or 8x while the 3rd is only capable of 8x while the other 2 are running at 16x? I'm just looking for one what is cabable of 2 slots running at 16x for sli. Here is the link to the mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188039

jediobi1

if you have a single video card it will run at x16 speed but if you have 2 then they will both run at x8 speed basicly it drops the speed from 16 to 8
EDIT: woops seeing that it has 3 pcie slots then if you have 1 card it will run at x16 if you have 2 they will both run at x16 and if you have 3 then all 3 will run at x8