• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E x1 wifi6 plus bluetooth.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if there are any specific pci-e x1 cards for wifi6/bt5 for AMD x570? I wanted to get one, as I chose the Asus Prime-Pro over the one with wifi/bt already on the board, as it is superior and I wanted to get a x1 card. But now after doing research, I find that most are not compatible with an AMD chipset, and furthermore, the BT5 dongle has a 4 pin usb that has to be plugged into the board, but as far as I know my board only has connectors for front panel (albeit there is a lot of them).

I'm wondering if there is a card specifically to work with x570 motherboards, that will work for wifi6 and bt5.0. I don't want to buy something then have it not work, returning something to China is a no go, lol, although I'd be willing to buy anything at this point at a premium.

From what I understand, these cards have to be plugged into the pci-e x1 port, which should work, but all of them have a cable for bt5 on it, and that is the part that confuses me, in all videos I see this cable connects to a usb 4pin port on the mobo itself, but I haven't seen one of those on any new mobos (albeit I've been with AMD for so long, maybe it's an Intel thing).

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the card I wanted, but want to make sure it's compatible:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/fenvi-PCIe-...989028?hash=item44439ab724:g:QaMAAOSw5PJdWIv6

Pcie card and not compatible with the chipset?? Never heard that one before.

What is this 4-pin for? USB is actually a 9-pin setup so I'm confused.

Most of the pci-e x1 wifi cards I see on ebay give a warning right away that it may not work with AMD chipsets, but above that, the bluetooth on the card is connected inside the case from the card itself via a 4pin cable and has to be connected to a USB 4pin (male) connector on the mobo to the 4hole connector on the cable, the old style usb-1 usb-2 type connectors on mobos I remember from back when, I guess they are still on Intel.

Anyway, I just want a wifi6 pci card with bluetooth that works on x570, is there such a thing?

Get a usb bluetooth adapter compatible with the OS. Bluetooth is such a short range, low bandwidth wireless technology that USB should make for no disadvantage. And you would avoid the issue of incompatibility with the AMD chip set, if in fact that is a reality.

Are you sure there is a BT 6 standard? Can't find anything on it.

To be honest, I have not found the later BT standards to be much superior to BT 2.0. The greater transmission distance claims will not be experienced in the real world where there are walls and interference. Still mostly a 10' to 20' reach in my experience.

What will you use the BT for?

Last edited:
I just looked at a couple on ebay. Neither said anything about not being compatible with chipsets. The cards I saw use an intel chip themselves but regardless as long as it supports your os with drivers that's what matters. Plus for the wifi6 speeds you really need multiple devices that support wifi6.
I looked at the same card you are thinking about. Looks good to me. I had a wifi/bt module in my mobo but removed it so I could use a msata drive to boot to. Glad I did.

Last edited:
Looking deeper into it, I think the problem is the bluetooth module,not the wifi (although some do say not compatible with AMD chipset, not sure what that means.

This is a picture of one of these cards, can one of you please take a look at the cable (the one with black on one side and white on the other), that one is the one you plug into the card on one side, and into the mobo on the other, but I can't see any connector on my mobo that would take that, however it is said Intel boards all have that?

s-l1600.jpg

Whoops! I realize I made a mistake in my first post as you said Wifi6 not BT 6. Looks like a 4 in front of the BT symbol on the PCB. BT v.4 then I take it. And it looks like the card requires a SATA power connector for power.

Can you show the a straight on pic of the two connectors on the long cable? It's hard to tell anything about them from a side view.

And shouldn't both the Wifi and the BT move data through the PCI-e bus? Why would the BT need a separate connector to the motherboard?

Last edited:
And shouldn't both the Wifi and the BT move data through the PCI-e bus? Why would the BT need a separate connector to the motherboard?

You'd think, but it's actually not unheard of to break out the BT like that, and not just on no-name eBay cards either. Using an Intel 7265 NIC in my desktop that has BT built in, but I never bothered hooking up the USB jumper so it's wifi only :shrug:

Wait wait, there is a card that has BT built in without having to connect inside the case? I will definitely look into that.

Here is the one I wanted, and even this "high end" one with huge ratings has the BT cable with some in-case connector that no AMD board has but apparently every Intel board has (something called J_USB1, basically a straight up USB connector but on the motherboard (not a front panel connector, but an USB port on the motherboard for internal usb stuff, wtf?)).

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -[/COLOR]

Freakdiablo, do you have that card directly plugged into the mobo or are you using a PCI-E x1 card? It's possible that if using a pci-e card you still need to plug the bluetooth cable even with that card, the BT signal is in the card, but needs to be plugged into USB maybe? Every card I have looked at is this way.

I bought the motherboard I did because i wanted more features and even paid more for it than a board that has BT and wifi right on it (but less PCI-Ex16 slots), but now I'm not sure if it was the right idea as this is so difficult.

EDIT: I just checked out various Intel cards with integrated BT and they all seem to say "requires a USB 2.0 cable to be plugged into the usb 2.0 slot on the motherboard". There has to be cards made for AMD, or a cable to connect to a front panel connector maybe, I'll never use the usb 2.0 front panel connectors, so I might as well use it, but need to find out if it's possible.

Here is another pic of one card that is sold on newegg that has rave reviews, and definitely a BT cable, anyone know what that is (the black part of the cable that is visible goes to the mobo),and just to clarify, this specific one on newegg, in bad English (Chinese English one could say), on the last line, it says "Not support some Devices Which Motherboard with AMD Chipest.":

Oh, here it is: [url]https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-fv-2030t-pci-express/p/0XM-00JK-00039?Description=PCIe%20bluetooth&cm_re=PCIe_bluetooth-_-9SIADXZ81V9696-_-Product

ADXZ_131819154921921435Ij4VsYfTu1.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't the end on that cable just a USB connector? Or is the missing pin hole on the wrong corner for USB?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Trypt, just break down and use USB external USB adapters for wifi and bt.

I've still never heard of a Wi-Fi/BT card that was only compatible with one Intel or amd....

If true, it should have a compatibility list in the manual or at the website..

Back