• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Express cards will give 50% greater performance than 9800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

Digitimes Article

Just letting you guys know that it won't be the N40 or R420 (at least as long as this chart stays true) that will give you 50% more perfomance of a 9800 Pro.

Tipycol

Last edited:

shortyes

I bet that is all hype. Just like 8X AGP was suppose to give like 20-25% more but instead we get like 5%

Just like SATA gives us 150Mbit/sec but we normally don't see any different from old try and true ATA 100 or 133.

Real world is always different that theoritical

I would stay away from PCI express until it matures. Look at all the trouble people had with SATA the first year alone. The data corruption and what not.

I do not mean to say it might hit 50% more but the interface needs time to mature and the bugs worked out.

Overclocker550

you wont have much of a choice when all the high end cards are pci express ONLY just as there are no high end pci cards. the r420 is gonna be the fastest agp card ever then pci express only from now on

Evnas

Overclocker550 said:
you wont have much of a choice when all the high end cards are pci express ONLY just as there are no high end pci cards. the r420 is gonna be the fastest agp card ever then pci express only from now on

The jump to PCI Express will NOT be that drastic. There will be high end AGP and PCI-Express cards for a couple years, just as there was high end PCI and AGP cards co-existing back in the Voodoo days

OP
T

Tipycol

I'm not saying PCI Express will hit it (they don't even have a time table), but I see a lot of posts right now saying wait for the R420 because it will give be 50% better than the 9800 Pro (or the N40 because it's obviously supposed to counter the R420) and this shows that that's probably not true.

harryinny3

I will say

your wrong about PCIX only for now on. They are going to keep AGP for quite awhile. Id say 4 years atleast. Thats about the time frame a PC bought today will last Joesixpack. Then we will see a phase out of AGP cards.

Harry

shortyes

Overclocker550 said:

Any company that only introduces PCI express cards for high end is just asking for a world of hurt. Look at how Intel fared when it forced people to use RDRAM. It got slammed. No company will force the public to switch.

Look at the floppy. Microsoft has been trying to get rid of it for 4 years and it is still here.

APG is the standard graphics port now but you can STILL find PCI cards from the manufactuer until about last year and that took about 4 years. I do not see the AGP disappearing for some time and I for one will not go buy a new Mobo/CPU/PSU/Ram just so I can buy a 300 dollar Vid card that is PCI express only. So for those that are waiting for the PCI express they are the minority. The majority will wait for the new r420 and then buy the 9800 pro when it is dirt cheap ^^

Th0r

Ok boys...lets Just wait and see what happens when the R9900 Pro Hits the PCI-X Interface.... And Being compared next to the AGP Interface...

AGP cards will be around for atleast 4 more years.....

And 'Overclocker550' please back up your arguement before saying 'you wont have much of a choice when all the high end cards are pci express ONLY'...

harryinny3

Exactly,

I was at walmart a couple of days ago, And they have PCI Cards in stock. 5200,s 440,s and I saw a 5600. They still have these because Someone there MUST know The rigs they sell dont have AGP slots for upgrades. Atleast The ones Ive opened up on the shelvs dont.

compusa Has TONS of PCI cards. I even saw a 9600PCI interface card. Granted Alot of the PCI cards left are Compusa brand, And only 32mb ram. But they still exsist sp? LOL.

I agree Whole heartedly with the stetement,Im NOT going out and buying a new Mobo, CPU, And memory just to have PCI express. Im Going to buy my 9800Pro when PCIX hits the shelves. Matter of fact Im thinking of a 9700pro or 9800Np The day after Xmas. Compusa STILL has a 9700pro for $220 on the shelf, And they have 10 of them in the locked room.

Have a great Holiday

Harry

micamica1217

my next vcard upgrade will not be a PCIX...
yet it still might be one of the new cards that nVidia or ATI is putting out in a few months.
going AGP, my friends.....
infact, I'll keep my mobo, when the new prescotts come out...
going 478 one last time.

I see no reason for the PCIX cards to be any better then the AGP...yet let's all just sit back and see what happens.

mica

diddydo75

very interesting! am about to start my last upgrade on this rig before i retire it in about 2 years. looks like when i come to build my next rig i could still be going down the agp route, cost is a major factor for me! i wont rush on the pcix bandwagon anyway.

Overclocker550

Excelsior said:
Ok boys...lets Just wait and see what happens when the R9900 Pro Hits the PCI-X Interface.... And Being compared next to the AGP Interface...

AGP cards will be around for atleast 4 more years.....

And 'Overclocker550' please back up your arguement before saying 'you wont have much of a choice when all the high end cards are pci express ONLY'...

agp cards will indeed be around, but only low end. want me to explain? When the geforce2 came out, the only geforce2 in pci was the "mx" and there was never a pci of a geforce3. Then when the geforce4 came out, again the "mx" was pci. same with the fx5200. Of course I could be wrong, but I am just going by logical history

want proof?

AGP usage should phase out by around 2005, since Intel have indicated that their future chipsets (scheduled for introduction at about the time of their "Tejas" CPUs) will replace AGP support with PCI-Express. Nvidia's upcoming NV40 GPU will not support AGP in any way, and ATI's upcoming R420 GPU will only support AGP via additional circuitry.

NO agp nv40 and ati is doing us a favor by making agp versons of the r420. It is being phased out faster than pci was, since pci is good for audio, modems, ethernet but agp is only good for videos. Those without pci express slots can just get a 9800 pro

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGP

Th0r

I see what you mean....

Nvidia are really shooting them selves in the foot with not making a AGP version of the NV4* Chipset....

ATi will win this round again i think :)

Sentential

Contributing Member
LMAO:D Nvidia does it again! .....Can anyone say Voodoo?

........Here lies NVidia
You were once my favorite
but your poor marketing decisions
have led you down the path of liquidation

R.I.P

Falcon-K

wait so nvidia will not be making anymore agp cards? or is just the highend nv cards? no company can be that stupid can they? i mean how many people here have a pci-x board let alone joe six pack?

shortyes

AGP usage should phase out by around 2005, since Intel have indicated that their future chipsets (scheduled for introduction at about the time of their "Tejas" CPUs) will replace AGP support with PCI-Express. Nvidia's upcoming NV40 GPU will not support AGP in any way, and ATI's upcoming R420 GPU will only support AGP via additional circuitry.

I will take this with a little grain of salt. Even if Intel does not support AGP, Mobo manufactuers will. Again please look at the floppy. INtel adn Microsoft hate that interface with Mobo makers still have support for it.

Nvidia will not go just PCI-express. Again I point to Intel and its method of forcing RDRAM.

Please look at the PCI. Yes there were no high end cards Now. But you could still find some a year ago.

Yes PCI-EX is good for all the other slots, Ethernet, Sound card and what not but let me ask the public something. How much more performance can you expect from an ethernet card, sound card? Almost Nada. Maybe the newer 1000Mb Ethernet standard might help a bit but how many companies will switch over to PCI-EX? Yes ATI, Nvidia and a few others but have you seen how many different companies there are out there?

Right now and some time in the future PCI-EX will ONLY help Graphics card and thus I do not see PCI/AGP disappearing until at least 2007.

As for the high performance, I have seen 8500 in PCI. ATI will still make AGP for at least another 2 years, high end even.

Nivida is so screwed right now what would it hurt if it shot itself in the foot some more.

Lets take Nvidia for example. YEs Nvida did not make any high end GF4 for the PCI but look at the time line. By the time GF4 came out AGP 4x was out as well.

Now the computer industry did not go from PCI to AGP4x. There was AGP1x, 2x, before 4x

It did not go from 1x to 4x over night. It took about 3 years.

If anyone believe that PCI-EX will replace the high end by 2005, I have a nice plot of land on MArs to Sell. If you want somethign closer there is a bridge made of gold I can sell cheap.

It will take more than 1 year for the companies to switch completely to PCI-EX and they will still make AGP.

There is also talk about SATA a while ago saying SATA will replace ATA by 2003 then later 2004.

Look at SATA it can help HDD, CDRW, DVD but you have yet to see CDRW companies make SATA or even DVD.

Please keep in mind that any estimate by the computer industry has an error margin or 2 years at least.

GO INTEL...you shot yourself so many times what is one more?

First it pushes the elimination of the Floppy, then RDRAM ram and now PCI-EX. Has it succeed once?

I think I should go buy some more AMD stock. Seems like 2004 and 2005 might be the year of AMD again.

AS for Nvidia making nada AGP. I do not think a company the size of Nvidia will give ATI the entire AGP market? 1 year from now I still see at least a few MILLION people still having AGP.

5 people buy Nvidia and its PCI-EX

1 Million buy ATI and its AGP graphics...

HMMMM...so hard

Last edited:

Th0r

Falcon-K said:
wait so nvidia will not be making anymore agp cards? or is just the highend nv cards? no company can be that stupid can they? i mean how many people here have a pci-x board let alone joe six pack?

Nvidia is famous now for shooting it self in the foot with a RPG launcher... common practise for them.....

I bet ATi have got a Voodoo Nvidia Card and putting pins in them as we speak....LoL

DayUSeX

hmm very cool but mostly all hype again. Still im wating to get a pci-express mobo and a new vcard that is pci-express just so i can see what all the hub bub is about.