• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Express cards will give 50% greater performance than 9800 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
shortyes said:
GO INTEL...you shot yourself so many times what is one more?

How is promoting an industry advancment shooting themselves? :rolleyes:

shortyes said:
First it pushes the elimination of the Floppy, then RDRAM ram and now PCI-X. Has it succeed once?

Floppy is still there, but how many people use it? Next to none

RDRAM was a lot faster then DDR, but not as cheap to manufacture, so it didnt work out to well

shortyes said:
I think I should go buy some more AMD stock. Seems like 2004 and 2005 might be the year of AMD again.

And why is that? AMD endorses PCI-Express too :rolleyes:

And AMD has never had a "year". With the release of their 64bit CPU's, they might actually start turning a profit for the first time in years, heh

Last edited:
Yeah I know the difference between PCI express and PCI-X but I was a bit lazy. Should have said PCI-Ex

LOL us posters are lazy bunches...

Floppy is still there, but how many people use it? Next to none
YOu have not been at my school. Last semester everything we turned in is on floppy. My parents still uses floppy. My Neighbor still uses Floppy. Everyone I know still uses floppy. Floppy is still around.

RDRAM was a lot faster then DDR, but not as cheap to manufacture, so it didnt work out to well

YEs it is faster and has more bandwidth. It was also more expensive and had a read lag that didn't work out too well against DDR which was cheaper and faster with its lower latency.

How is promoting an industry advancment shooting themselves?
Promoting is all good. But Intel rarely promotes rather they try and thrust it down people's throat.

And AMD has never had a "year".

AMD actually had a year about the late 1998 and early 1999 when the Althon actually matured. It never beat Intel but it had a great year.

Last edited:
Re: Evnas

harryinny3 said:
I know theres a difference, I just shortened it as not to write it all out LOL.

Harry

but that is something you can not shorten as they are 2 completly different things and will confuse people.

if anything shorten it to PCI-Ex not PCI-X

:D

ATI r423 supposedly will have both AGP and PCI express support - suppoedly.... rumour.... is that possible even?

Someone please start a poll to prove the stupidity of forcing PCI-X. And ask the OC community IF they will buy PCI-X this year once its released. IMHO I think the anwser will be a resounding NO

The whole idea of PCI-express hype to me is just stupid. No offense but let me argue my point.

As someone else pointed out how much performace is a sound card, video card, raid card, EIDE and scsi card, ethernet card, etc.. going to benifit from PCI express? I mean even the newer audigy 2's (which is about one of the most resource intensive PCI perphrial you can, graphics cards excluded) really dont hit a bottleneck with the PCI bus, much less an ethernet card or a winmodem. Sure these cards could be maufactured for the PCI express standard but it would just be silly. It would be more expensive to make the cards for no performance gain. Sound cards might someday need a higher bandwidth as sound technology becomes more advanced. But with that we're talking a good decade or close to it yet that its going to NEED taht kind of bandwidth.

I'd hate to say it but it looks like the PCI-express standard is going to be another video port on a computer. We could use t for other things which gives us some leeway. But still given the marketing, price, and technilogical no how of most of the population, who in there right minds would manufacture a whole line of network cards for the standard when the normal PCI bus is more then enough and cheaper to impliment.

think about it, anyone without pci express will have out of date hardware and sticking in a super duper fast agp card would be badly bottlenecked by your cpu. also the average joe does not buy a $500 card, he buys something like a $150 9700 pro to upgrade his radeon8500 :)

Well Oc550 if not

for one thing LOL Atleast you will Get rid of that 4200 then.

But seriousely, There are MANY here who dont upgrade there cards At the drop of a hat. AGP WILL be around when we decide to upgrade our cards. PCI express will be for that 5-10% Who just cant live without having the latest and greatest.

I still say AGP will be around for atleast end of 2007.

BTW, Where can i get a 9700 for 150? I WANT!!!

Harry

Re: Well Oc550 if not

harryinny3 said:
for one thing LOL Atleast you will Get rid of that 4200 then.

But seriousely, There are MANY here who dont upgrade there cards At the drop of a hat. AGP WILL be around when we decide to upgrade our cards. PCI express will be for that 5-10% Who just cant live without having the latest and greatest.

I still say AGP will be around for atleast end of 2007.

BTW, Where can i get a 9700 for 150? I WANT!!!

Harry

LOL I think that was a figurative speech about the $150 9700 pro

Yah I know LOL

But i had to throw thast in anyway's. LOL. I wish though. Lowest ive seen at the places i shop, Ie: Newegg,allstarshop, Was $250. And i think allstarshop is the only one with it in stock. BUT for $20 i can have my 9800pro. Sooooooo What would you do. I think its a 9800 for me.

Harry

"There are MANY here who dont upgrade there cards At the drop of a hat. AGP WILL be around when we decide to upgrade our cards."

I know that of course. and when those upgrade, the 9800 pro is always available cheaper and cheaper as time goes by. it makes no sense to use high end agp cards in obsolete hardware. Yes agp will live on but only in "value" form. The majority of "average joes" dont buy $500 cards and those who want an expensive card would also have a new mobo with pci express. The thing is, there will be an agp bridge so you can use your existing agp card in new mobos. This means when I go the a64 route like 18+ months later, ill just move my ti4200 there :) I guess thats whats meant by agp living on, its for backwards compatability

Overclocker550 said:
"There are MANY here who dont upgrade there cards At the drop of a hat. AGP WILL be around when we decide to upgrade our cards."

I know that of course. and when those upgrade, the 9800 pro is always available cheaper and cheaper as time goes by. it makes no sense to use high end agp cards in obsolete hardware. Yes agp will live on but only in "value" form. The majority of "average joes" dont buy $500 cards and those who want an expensive card would also have a new mobo with pci express. The thing is, there will be an agp bridge so you can use your existing agp card in new mobos. This means when I go the a64 route like 18+ months later, ill just move my ti4200 there :) I guess thats whats meant by agp living on, its for backwards compatability

so you realy think that in 18 months, your new mobo will have an AGP slot???
LOL...keep dreaming.

mica

micamica1217 said:

LOL...keep dreaming.

mica

Well you can still buy mobos that support both SD and DDR memory...granted they arent from (nor never were) any reliable company, hehe

micamica1217 said:

LOL...keep dreaming.

mica

I'm so sure that in 18 months my new mobo will still have a agp that I'll take a wager with you mic.

Anyway our OCed beasts are far beyond specs of ANY comp. We will only need to upgrade in maybe 2 years once DDR2 takes hold. By then I will wnat a new Vid card as well.

But there is no way in hell im goin for PCI-X until atleast 2006

Death to the floppy! Who the hell still uses them? I have a drive, but no disks. 1.44 mb isn't even enough for a single pic off my digicam.

Overclocker550 said:
think about it, anyone without pci express will have out of date hardware and sticking in a super duper fast agp card would be badly bottlenecked by your cpu. also the average joe does not buy a $500 card, he buys something like a $150 9700 pro to upgrade his radeon8500 :)
Thank you :)

I'm not planning on replacing my mobo (or any other major upgrade) for another 2 or 3 years. I just don't have the money to do it, so I'm allways behind the curve technology-wise. I plan on doing minor upgrades (hard drive space, video, cpu, etc) to keep the bottlenecks to a minimum, but a person not upgrading to the latest architecture isn't looking for high-end anyway :) I'm planning on using this KT266A board for a while still :D

Besides, if you think about it, they'll equip the value AGP cards with a similar core and memory as the PCI Express ones. Since the AGP bus isn't near being used yet, I should extract quite a bit of performance out of it anyway. For a value card, that's what I call prime overclocking material!

JigPu

yeah but i wouldnt be suprised if you see some ti4200's moved over to pci-express, simply becuase nvidia knows how much the fx series bombed and how people still buy 4200's. Thought know seeing that 150 will get you a 9700 i guess i have a new card of choice for a budget pc. Still i hope technology that is a generation old will be made into pci-express. That would greatly get the ball rolling on migrating everything to pci-express.

Back