• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pci Ide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FarEast

Most Generous Member
Ok i do a lot of video editing and burning to DVD but i have found that sometimes durring capture or burning i lose one or two frames that cause a jump or glitch in the video. The around this is to have a seperate HDD to capture on to as a secondary drive but then this interferes with my DVD + - RW drive so if i get and IDE PCI card with Ultra DMA can i have all of my drives as

HDD Mobo Primary
HDD mobo Secondary
DVDRW +- IDE PCI Card Primary
DVD Rom IDE PCI Card Secondary

So there are no slave drives....would this work or would i lose performance? Also what is the Maximum number of drives Window XP can take?

FarEast,

Yes, it will work, and if it does not, you just swap and put your CDRW and DVD in the mainboard IDE channels, and the hdds in the PCI IDE card. Just did that last week, and I am quite happy.

Regards
FTC

FTC, Thanks for the help,

So what are the transfer rates between the two HDD's like ?

FarEast,

I have now fantastic transfer rates. I can copy from one drive to another almost double as fast as before (25-46Mbps per each channel, depending on the zone of the disk), and also can now copy CDR's on the fly at 48x. (which I could not do before).

Regards
FTC

ive done that on my last system and i was very pleased with the results. I needed more IDE ports because i had my bruner and hard drive on the same IDE channel and it always under-buffered.

good luck

Excellent feed back guys!!! So what card could you recommened? Money really isn't a issue .....as they don't cost much so i would like to get the best there is.

FarEast,

If you just want IDE ports, go with the cheaper option. Mine is a cmd649 based card by a company called 'digitus'.... which will also do RAID0, 1 or 01 (if I ever have the guts and patience to try it). But if you will attempt RAID, then I would look at one from the big ones (promise, adaptec,...), since it is more complicated technology.

Regards
FTC

Thanks for the info ...i got a Silicon Images one.....comes on a red circuit board....very painless to install and has done wonders!!!

Thanks for the Help guys

Back