• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Raid card or IDE to SATA converter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PopRichie

If anyone is wondering about which to use, this may help you decide. I have tried both, on an older mother board, Shuttle AN35n-Ultra, that only has (IDE) PATA connectors, it does support ATA 133. I started with a PCI 2 port Raid controller card and a WD 360 SATA Raptor drive. Bought a package. This was not impressive over the 7200 rpm IDE drive that it replaced, I then got an IDE to SATA converter, plugs right into the mother board IDE connector and tried that, just to see if there was any difference, worse or better. I used the Pathmark performance test for read, write and random seek. Scores for using the raid card or the converter were very similar and I notice no difference in the way things open or load. The only thing that I can say is the converter doesn't need a driver and with my board bios set to auto it recognized the Raptor with out doing anything else. Other mother boards may have different results. Also other tests may show greater differences.

OP
P

PopRichie

Ok, just ran HD Tach on each controller, repeated several times, average tests were identical for either controller. However the Silicon Image Raid card, by Buslink had a higher burst rate by 5MBs.

attack

huh? You need to rewrite that, what are you doing?

If your taking a regular PATA drive and running benches of that against teh same drive with a PATA->SATA converter then it should be the same as SATA offers no performance benefit that PATA. (and controllers are controllers...they only really start to make a difference if your running RAID 5 or something demanding)

If your putting a raptor and a 7200 PATA drive in RAID together, it's not gonna be much faster at all...your gonna always have to wait on the 7200 PATA drive to give ya data so....

I don't think you've found anything earth shattering, unless I completely mis understood your post (which is very possible), please reply with a better description as to what you did.

OP
P

PopRichie

Sorry for the confusion, My fault, I should not have mentioned the PATA drive and you are right the Raptor using a controller is pretty much the same, I found this out by trying. But it seems that a lot of people like myself got the impression that using a Raptor drive would be faster. Also I was told that IDE to Sata controllers didn't work as well, do to the converter overhead, I was just saying that in my tests they did. The only advantage that I see in using the IDE to SATA controller is that it doesn't require a driver, which does away with the Raid driver set up screen at boot up, but it also uses one IDE channel for the controller, there by reducing the number of hard drives that can be used, with out going to USB or back to a controller card. Each has it's purpose, depending on what the user wants. YES, nothing earth shattering but if I had found this kind of information I wouldn't have tried any of this. Maybe it is here in one of the threads but I didn't find it. Guess I should have asked the question first.

Last edited: