• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If the 1x slot has the back cut out (by the manufacturer or you, doesn't matter) then yes, the card will go right in and fold happily.
In games it won't put out as much power as it ought to due to the crippled bandwidth.

If the 1x slot has the back cut out (by the manufacturer or you, doesn't matter) then yes, the card will go right in and fold happily.
In games it won't put out as much power as it ought to due to the crippled bandwidth.

that's my board.

34o7m07.jpg

are you saying the first or the 2nd red needs to be cut?

I don't think this will work anyways for 2 more 9800gtx's due to their size.

what folds just as good but is small

No, those are normal PCI slots, they are NOT the same as PCI-e. It will not work in those.

Those little tiny slots are PCIe 1x slots, GPUs will work in them.

PCI slots are just PCI slots, there isn't a 1x or a 2x or anything else.
I assumed you were talking about PCIe because of the 1x, my mistake.

PCI slots are totally different then PCIe slots (really they ought to have a larger difference in name IMO).

Those little tiny slots are PCIe 1x slots, GPUs will work in them.

yeah sure now I find the write up on them.

but it doesn't help because if I have 2 9800gtx+'s and want to put another something in there it won't work because they won't fit.

correct?

Right, unfortunately many decent video card takes up dual slot for the cooler. You may be able to use the top or bottom 1x PCIe if you can replace the stock cooler with something narrower for single slot use.

Right, unfortunately many decent video card takes up dual slot for the cooler. You may be able to use the top or bottom 1x PCIe if you can replace the stock cooler with something narrower for single slot use.

HRM

Wonder how cool a 9800gtx+ would stay if I took the stock cooler off and let it run like that with fans blowing on it?

Without a cooler you can expect a thermal shutdown and/or failure with smoke and maybe fire in less then a tenth of a second.
That's something like a 100w card.

Without a cooler you can expect a thermal shutdown and/or failure with smoke and maybe fire in less then a tenth of a second.
That's something like a 100w card.

yeah I just rethunked what I said :D Wasn't too bright:bang head

I just want to figure out a way to put 3 cards on this mobo dang it.

short ramsinks for 11.99 each times how many on that card, then figure out a cooler that will work with it and still allow me to put a card above and below it. I can't use the card above the 1st pci-e due to the fact that the NB oem sink is there.

I think I'm up the creek without a paddle on this mobo. Unless you have something in mind.

mmm... someone makes a GPU cooler that sticks out and up, rather then down like normal. Might be promilitech or however you spell the people that make the megahalems CPU heatsink.

Back