• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pci vs agp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paintball4life

hello my bro bought a dell 1 and a half years ago and he wants to upgrade his computer. but he bought a 4500s. with no agp! so his only option is a pci card. cause he refuses to bye a no mother board or a new system. p4 1.8ghz 640mb ram and now he needs a good pci card. can u name the best pci card. how it compares to its agp card. and how it overclocks thanks a bunch.
Josh. H

McTimson

I think there are FX5200's in PCI, maybe even FX5600's... I heard there were some Radeon 9600's in PCI format too...those would be the best options.

But honestly, the difference between AGP and PCI is massive. I had a GeForce4 MX420 PCI card for a while, and while it's not that great of a card, I figured it would at least run better than my friend's GeForce2 MX400 AGP card. It didn't. His card beat me in every game we played, UT2k3, Max Payne 2, Unreal 2, the Jedi Knight games, pretty much all new games are going ot need an AGP card to play decently. I remember trying Homeworld 2, I got about 1 FPS. Unreal 2 was unplayable, even at low settings.

If I were him, I would save up for a bit and get a new motherboard/case and a new video card, and then he can use the rest of his parts with that.

kwikgta

I just bought a Chaintech PCI 5200 with 128 ram & put in my daughters PC. It won't even run 5 year old flight simulators, but it will run her Barbie games....so she's happy.

TimWest

VisionTek sells a 9100 (a.k.a. 8500LE) PCI card. I think they are the fastest PCI card around. They are getting harder to find.

I found this place from price watch ( but I don't know anything about them). $49 shipped.

http://www.shentech.com/vixt91ra91pr.html

Your next best bet would be to get which ever is cheaper between MX440 or FX5200.

I wouldn't spend more then $75 on a PCI card.

Kenshiro

Dell makes very good case, but it is a known fact other brands of mobo wont fit into it.

This will be my suggestion here. Get a PCI video card for now. In about 6 months, AGP8X will be outdated and will be replace by PCI-Express. You should consider waiting until the next generation comes out before replacing the whole computer.

So, it has to depend if your brother is able to play games at a lower resolution for a little longer.

YellowDart

I agree 2/ ken... Have him either wait, or pick up a PCI 5200/5600/r9600 to tide himself over. PCI-E is the next big step in performance. PCI-E will be included on all the new standard BTX form factor mobos that will be out in the next few months. I believe BTX might support some AGP, but by the end of 2004, PCI Express will be the new standard. I'm for having him wait 6 months, then buy a new mobo, case, and video card. You can always salvage all the other parts off the Dell.

gusgizmo

Disabled
even faster than that. alot of the improvements have nothing to do with higher bandwidth. such as the video card being able to read/write the main memory alot easier.