• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Peltiers, waterblocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
V

Van

Wondering if anyone thinks the following would have any effect or even work:

Since a peltier on an AMD requires so much voltage and therefore an additional power supply, I was wondering if you could get a low voltage one and instead of sandwiching the pelt inbetween the cpu and waterblock, put it on top of the waterblock, cold side down, and air cool the hot side with a nice hsf. Since the pelt would be farther away from mobo and not as cold, would this also help with condensation problems?

That's about it...been thinking about it last couple days, any comments appreciated.

It seems like that would help a little bit but not as much as putting the TEC under the waterblock. The best setup would be stacking them like this:

WATERBLOCK
PELTIER
COLDPLATE
CPU

Right, but I was just thinking how to use a lower voltage peltier so as to not necesitate an additional power supply for the 150+ watt peltier needed for an AMD setup.

TT120 (Mar 25, 2001 02:45 p.m.):
It seems like that would help a little bit but not as much as putting the TEC under the waterblock. The best setup would be stacking them like this:

WATERBLOCK
PELTIER
COLDPLATE
CPU

You could run it @ 12V but then it would only be 75Watts if it's default is 24V, but if the default is 15V or 16V it would be close to 120Watts. So if you have a good internal PSU you could run it off of there. Prolly Enermax 400Watt+ would be a good one to use.

-dasouthernocer

Van,

What you described is a variation of the classic chiller. I chiller is a waterblock with a pelt and a HSF. By piping the water through it, the water is chilled. It is not as effecient as extracting the heat from the CPU using a cold plate, pelt and waterblock.

Back