• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pending sectors vanished after full format

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

Last night HD Tune reported 8 pending sectors in my 2TB (actually 1.81TB) Seagate drive. I backed up all data to an external drive - by then the pending sectors count increased to 32 - and did a full format on it which took over 4 hours. Now both HD Tune and Crystaldisk report 0 pending sectors and 0 reallocated sectors. Is it absolutely safe to say there's nothing wrong with the drive or is it time to replace it?

(ignore the crc error count, it's been there since the day the cable was loose after cleaning the case)
78sIof6.png

HankB

I don't know what the pending sector count is. I go by 05 Reallocated Sector Count.

Did you use a Seagate utility that might have zeroed the count?

NB Both of my 2TB Seagates are relegated to unimportant off line backups (via USB sled) due to remapped sectors. One was at about 2500 IIRC.

OP
DeathAngelLST

DeathAngelLST

Did you use a Seagate utility that might have zeroed the count?

I used Windows' full format, which is about the same as zero fill. I'm running HD Tune's error scan right now, then will do a random fill and zero fill to check if the count goes up again.