• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 2 unlocked!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

Hey all, I just traded my Celeron 300A for a Pentium II 333, and to my surprise, this CPU is multiplyer unlocked! I thought all Intel's were locked internally? I can clock this puppy to 400 Mhz (6x66), but the cache disables itself at that speed, so I don't think there is any performance gain. I am gonna do the pin mod to this CPU to get it to auto-detect 100Mhz FSB...then I should have some fun!

you poor thing "having fun with a PII 333MHZ".......good luck on saving for next chip :)

Eah, to each their own, I'd have fun with an unlocked Intel chip, if only for my smug sense of happiness at stickin' it to the man!

Yes I AM enjoying my Intel. I have only ever had AMD, and recently decided I want an Intel sys. I am saving for a P4 sys, and this is just holding me over.

Anthing under a PII350 should be multi unlocked. They didn't start locking the PII350's until a few weeks into production. I have one as a file server and it is locked <g> PII350@464

The week at which the PII350 started being locked was the week in which production of the PII400's which came locked coninsideed if I remember right(maby not), but being made on the same die that's when they should have started being made locked.

-Toysrme

after august 1998 all multipliers were locked.
anything from before that date is potluck.
some were locked, some weren't and some were partially locked.

i had a PII 300 that was partially locked. you could lower, but not raise the multiplier.

Looktall is correct, the early P-II CPUs were unlocked, but after August 1998, all Intel processors were locked. I've had two P-II 233, one was unlocked and one was locked. My unlocked 233 would easily do 300 with default voltage. Not many 300 CPUs were unlocked, so congrats.

Back