• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 2 unlocked!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quegyboe

Hey all, I just traded my Celeron 300A for a Pentium II 333, and to my surprise, this CPU is multiplyer unlocked! I thought all Intel's were locked internally? I can clock this puppy to 400 Mhz (6x66), but the cache disables itself at that speed, so I don't think there is any performance gain. I am gonna do the pin mod to this CPU to get it to auto-detect 100Mhz FSB...then I should have some fun!

oops

you poor thing "having fun with a PII 333MHZ".......good luck on saving for next chip :)

Molybdym

Eah, to each their own, I'd have fun with an unlocked Intel chip, if only for my smug sense of happiness at stickin' it to the man!

OP
quegyboe

quegyboe

Yes I AM enjoying my Intel. I have only ever had AMD, and recently decided I want an Intel sys. I am saving for a P4 sys, and this is just holding me over.

Toysrme

Anthing under a PII350 should be multi unlocked. They didn't start locking the PII350's until a few weeks into production. I have one as a file server and it is locked <g> [email protected]

The week at which the PII350 started being locked was the week in which production of the PII400's which came locked coninsideed if I remember right(maby not), but being made on the same die that's when they should have started being made locked.

-Toysrme

looktall

after august 1998 all multipliers were locked.
anything from before that date is potluck.
some were locked, some weren't and some were partially locked.

i had a PII 300 that was partially locked. you could lower, but not raise the multiplier.

batboy

Senior Moment
Looktall is correct, the early P-II CPUs were unlocked, but after August 1998, all Intel processors were locked. I've had two P-II 233, one was unlocked and one was locked. My unlocked 233 would easily do 300 with default voltage. Not many 300 CPUs were unlocked, so congrats.