• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pentium 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyguy076

Registered
I have a pentium3 550mhz processor. I was wondering how much more performace I could get by overclocking?

OP
K

kyguy076

Registered
mobo is a Asust ek computer inc. p2-99 Rev 1 xx
Bus Clock at 100 megahertz
Bios: Award software, inc ASUS 92-99 ACPI Bios Revision 1011A
128 meg installed memory (I KNOW I NEED MORE)
IF U NEED MORE INFO LET ME KNOW. THANX

Pikachu_Mommy

Disabled
Yo will get greater performance increase by increasing the FSB. Up it baby. What stepping is that P3 550? it's been long time so I forgot the usual oc'ability of that chip.. humm. 5.5 x 133 would be nice if your CPU could take it. memory to tight timings of cas2s..

OP
K

kyguy076

Registered
Ok, I have another prob. When I get into bios I cant figure out where to go to increase the frontside buss. All I have in the bios is Standard CMOS setup, Bios features setup, chipset features setup, power management setup, pmp and pci setup. I have been in all the different places and can't find how to increase the fsb anywhere. Any suggestions????

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
First off, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

If you haven't already read this, the Overclockers.com Beginner's Guide Section has some good stuff to know about how to overclock, and other helpful hints about your computer in general. One article I think is definitely worth a look is this one, which was written by one of our Forum Senior Members, Batboy. It is a very thorough article that gives you the do’s and don’ts of overclocking. Likewise, you might find the CPU Database of some help in determining what others have been able to safely overclock your processor to.

Anyway, this should be in the "Intel CPUs" section.

Now... if memory serves me, this is a Katmai generation PIII, which was a modified Deschutes generation PII with SSE, basically. This means that the processor will likely hit 600MHz, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that. Especially if this is a slot 1 CPU and has stock cooling. I'd say 5.5x112 would be doable, but 5.5x133 is not realistic at all, especially if your computer has PC100 ram.

With the FSB... it might have to be increased by jumpers on the motherboard itself. You'll wanna check the motherboard manual for information on FSB settings. As a side note, don't try to change the multiplier. It's locked.

If an overclock is somewhat stable, but still gives you some errors, you can boost the voltage, but then keep an even closer eye on the temps as that will raise heat.

Also, you might reach a point at which some of your PCI/AGP cards may not work. Most cards can handle up to a 40MHz PCI frequency well, but after that, start to flake out. Be especially careful if you're using a NIC, as these are known to be very persnickety about high PCI speeds.

Let us know if you have any more questions...

OP
K

kyguy076

Registered
Ok thanks for the info I've done about everything I can. I think it is locked but if I'm only going to get another 50 mhz I'm just going to forget about it. Anyway thnks for the good tipsss.>>

lee

alrighty, i have a p3 550e which will overclock to 733 Mhz on a 133 fsb & is rock-stable...........but depends on which p3 you have........

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
lee said:
alrighty, i have a p3 550e which will overclock to 733 Mhz on a 133 fsb & is rock-stable...........but depends on which p3 you have........

I believe that is a Coppermine core PIII which means that it would have a much higher OC ceiling than the older Katmai core PIII.

JCLW

It should so 600~650. The L2 cache chips won't allow you to go any faster unless you rig up some sort of way to cool them.

Slot 1 processors usually run cooler then their FC-PGA counterparts, because the slot 1 heatsinks are ~twice as large. I can run my dual slot 1 PIII-800e cores at 900 with no fans on the heatsinks in the winter months.

The ZX chipset on that motherboard is decent. It's the little brother of the BX, which is one of the best chipsets ever made. The only difference is that it only supports half as much memory (512mb instead of 1gb) and only have bus mastering on the first few PCI slots (first three if I remember correctly) - so place any high bandwidth PCI cards (RAID, network, etc...) in the upper slots.

jazztrumpet216 is correct, the FSB is set with jumpers on the motherboard. If you don't have a manual handy you can grab a copy here. Page 16 has the info you'll need.

As you mentioned, more memory would help as well. Make sure you get low density modules (which will be more expensive :().

:santa2:

- JW