• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cybercla

Registered
Hello,
I have a Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz and I was looking for a motherboard that supports my processor and also rambus. I even bought one from Fry's and on the box it says that it supports up to 2.4 Ghz, but I wasnt able to power on the system. Then I took it back to Fry's and they have tried 3 different boards (same model) and none of them worked (with my processor or their processor). I think the motherboard was an Asus P4T.

What motherboard should I get? (and where can I get it).

And also I bought a Soyo P4I Fire Dragon and my processor got stuck to the fan. The program that I was running for the temperature checking did not report overheating, anyone has any ideas why that happened?

And one more question:
When I was running the following configuration, the system would restart from time to time (under "heavy load" only).

P4 2.0 Ghz
Soyo P4I Fire Dragon motherboard
256 MB DDR SDRAM (Corsair)
ATI Radeon 7500 (64 MB DDR w/ Tv-Out and DVI)
2 HDD
1 DVD-ROM
1 CD-Writer
350W power supply (approved by Inter for P4)
1 ZIP Drive + 1 Floppy Drive

Could it be a fault in the CPU since this was reported on a dif motherboard and different DDR RAM. Or could it be that the power supply was not good enough for my system (was not filtering good enough).

And is there a way to check if there is such a fault in the CPU?

Thank you

This P4 2.0 is not the Northwood version, anyone know what the difference is between those two?

Processor switch

Hello and thanks for the replies

the chip that I had was a P4 2.0 Ghz "williamette", the 18 microns one.

I returned it, and I got P4 2.0a Northwood. Anyhow ... now I dont have a motherboard.

So everyone thinks that the ABIT TH7-II Raid would be the best one out there.

And also how much Rambus would be good to get? Does 512 MB RAMBUS makes a big difference over 256 MB?

Any cheap and good places that sell the ABIT motherboard?

Just to make sure that my chip is a Northwood, on the chip it says 2A Ghz/512/400/1.5 V. Is this the right one?
If it is much better than the williamette, how come that there is only a slim difference in price?

Thanks again

i would stay away from Samsung. I heard from a reliable source some current and most future Intel chipsets don't care for samsung memory. Just a thought

Fan

Anyone knows if the Zalman CNPSCU 6500 Heatsink (from cooler guys) is any good for overclocking? What RPMs does it run at?

If not what are the best fans out there for Pentium 4's?

Thanks.

Back