• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlakMonkey

I know nothing about Intel so my buddy is gonna ask through me.

He has a Pentium 4 3.0 ghz and thats all he knows. It reads this to him in dxdiag,

Pentium (R) 4 3GHz (2 CPU's)

waht does this mean? He doesnt have internet on that computer so he cant get like cpuz or somin.

Thanks!

barnz0432

The reason it says that is because it has hyperthreading and it makes it think that it has a normal and a virtual processor. (i think)

Also about cpu-z just have someone with internet download cpu-z and save it to a disk so he can use it.

S_Wilson

Hard Working Member
What barnz0432 said is correct. With the P4 Hyperthread you have 1 physical processor and 1 logical processor. Think of the logical processor as an emulated virtual processor to use up the unused cycles of the chip and increase efficiency. Windows sees this as being 2 processors.

larva

Inactive Moderator
S_Wilson said:
What barnz0432 said is correct. With the P4 Hyperthread you have 1 physical processor and 1 logical processor. Think of the logical processor as an emulated virtual processor to use up the unused cycles of the chip and increase efficiency. Windows sees this as being 2 processors.
HT processors are one physical processor but have two logical processors. If there was only one logical it would be a conventional cpu--the logical and the physical would be the same thing. The whole point to HT is to make it appear to the OS as two cpus, so there must be two logical processors to affect this.

S_Wilson

Hard Working Member
larva said:
HT processors are one physical processor but have two logical processors. If there was only one logical it would be a conventional cpu--the logical and the physical would be the same thing. The whole point to HT is to make it appear to the OS as two cpus, so there must be two logical processors to affect this.

I wanted to keep the answer as simple as possible. :) In hindsight, keeping it simple was the same as giving wrong information. :(