• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 'C' - what's the go??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greg32

Registered
Hi, what is the go with the 'C' class processors. I am running a pentium 4 board at the moment (Albatron px845pe). Obvisouly designed for the 533mhz chips, and the old chipset. Can I put a 'C' class processor in this board, and will it run o.k., or do I need to get a new board with the new intel chipset on it?? Also, I have one stick of 512 corsair xms3500 ram. If I was to buy a new board, which supported dual ddr, and bought another stick of this stuff, does this ram run o.k. on the new intel chipset with d/ddr??

regards Greg

batboy

Senior Moment
You can "probably" run the "C" chip in your current mobo, but it might have a hard time running at default (200 FSB) let alone overclocking much. If you get a new Canterwood dual channel and another matching stick of RAM, that Corsair will be good to go.

sangapski

pip said:
the p4pe supposedly support C procs I'm I'd be very cautious about it

P4PE bios 1005 suppose to have a D1 stepping microcode but i havent seen one with a P4PE-D1 stepping setup yet...
...here's a link...

dont know about the albatron board though...

sangapski

i'll have my 2.6C tomorrow:D...
ill give it a try on my P4PE and see what it will do...
my P4C800 wont be here till next week :(