• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pentium dinosaur

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shane87

Hi guys,
I got me a 200mhz Pent MMX chip the other day at a garbage sale. I put it in me ol' Gigabyte GA-586ATS m/board and set the jumpers accordingly. I don't know how to set the voltage though and I wouldn't have a clue what its at. So far I can only get it to run at max 166Mhz running on 66Mhz FSB and 3x multiplier. Any suggestions? I would like to get it to 233mhz if possible! :eh?:

Well, when I do the math, 3x66=200 MHz. Those MMX CPUs had a split voltage and had different voltage than the Pentium classics. I'll see if I can find some info about your mobo and report back.

**UPDATE** This mobo does not support MMX CPUs. It doesn't have the proper voltage available for a MMX, but it will accept up to a P-200 classic (non-MMX), plus some AMD and Cyrix CPUs. The highest multiplier available is 3X and the highest FSB is 66 MHz, so the max speed you'll ever get any CPU on that mobo is 200 MHz. Here is a place where you can look at jumper settings and download the manual.

http://www.angelfire.com/pq/osm/586ats.html

Last edited:
Another Dinosaurs

Hey Batboy I was wondering If you could give me some tip on an old Pentium I. 100Mhz Pentium CPU,the motherboard say MB-8500TEC Ver.3 32MG RAM What I would like to do if possible is overclock it to 150or200Mhz so that I would be able to install win Me on it for my kids 8&10years old to play on and learn is this possible with this processor and mobo Thanks

ZoSo420G:beer:

Zoso, I'm having trouble finding documentation for your mobo. It appears that it might be a Biostar (but I'm not completely sure). I don't have much motivation to waste time reseaching it anymore. I'll have to let you find a manual for it on your own, I guess. I can tell you that a P-100 has a multiplier of 1.5X and uses a default FSB of 66 MHz. Probably the most you can hope for and still be stable (without lots of cooling mods or increasing voltage) is setting the multiplier jumper to 2X (sometimes there will be a jumper table printed on the mobo). This will give you 133 MHz, but more than that will fairly unlikely (200 is pretty much impossible). Even running at 133 MHz, you should use thermal paste and a fan on the heatsink. I'd also recommend just using Win95 for a rig like that.

Thanks For info

Thanks for the info Batboy Ive sortof Changed my Mind I think Im going to Run Win 3.11 on it But would still like to overclock to possibly 133Mhz. Do you know of any links or info on were I could find info on that mobo. I have already put an excellent heatsink on it and I may as well Learn how to overclock with This P1 rather than my main system Please let me know your though on running 3.11 and any other info you feel might help

Thanks Alot Appreciate The Help Batboy

Re: Another Dinosaurs

zoso420g said:
Hey Batboy I was wondering If you could give me some tip on an old Pentium I. 100Mhz Pentium CPU,the motherboard say MB-8500TEC Ver.3 32MG RAM What I would like to do if possible is overclock it to 150or200Mhz so that I would be able to install win Me on it for my kids 8&10years old to play on and learn is this possible with this processor and mobo Thanks

It's a Biostar mobo with Intel Triton chipset

I'll see if i can find more info about it

Well xoso, I'v actually been toying with those lately. My persional experience with a Pentium 100 has been really bad, I think the one I had was locked or something because I couldn't change the mult so I only got 133. My experience has mainly been with an old Cyrix of that generation and it could go from 133 2x66 to 180 3x60, but that was because it's default voltage was 2.8 and my mainboard supports 2.5,2.6,2.7,2.8,2.9,3.3,3.5. and I went from 2.8 to 3.3 with a newer heatsink and I'v NEVER had a single problem with that. You'r problem is that your Pentium probabily already runs at 3.3 or 3.5 so you don't have that kinda head room, but still (if you'r lucky) you may be able to go from 100 1.5x66 to 166 2.5x66 but I'd try 133 2x66 before trying 166, you will ned to find a way to get a hight voltage than the default though. What I'd do is look on your board for some charts, if you find one that has some voltage settings, you'r in luck, if you do, look for the jumpers specified and see what it's set at, if it is 3.3 then you can up it to 3.5, if it's already at 3.5 then there's one more thing you could try. On my mainboard I have a group of jumpeers that look like this ::::: to set 2.6 it's l:::: to set 2.7 it's :l::: to set 2.8 it's ::l:: etc. (2.5 is none) so an experiment I tried was closing more than one circut for ex. :::ll so it actually gave it som un specified power like 4.0 or something like that (I know because the heatsink gets MUCH hotter, and this in turn got my 133 up to 200 but it just gor a hair too hot! maybe that'l help.

I was able to run my Pentium 200mmx

all the way to 300mmx using FIC 503+ !

Off course you may need to "lapped" your cpu a abit and use a good heatsink.

But 300mhz is a definite possibility

Im a Newbie

Peter007 Im a newbie If you could please Elaborate just a little would be nice I appreciate any Help you can give me and I would surely like to get mine running at even 200 would be excellent so please post a reply with some detail

Thanks Bro
:beer: ZoSo420G:beer:

I had a Biostar 8500 TEC. I picked up a P200Classic and changed jumpers and it worked great! I don't think you can get anything more from this board.

DO NOT use the Bios updates from the Biostar site. It fragged two bios chips!

My .02

Paul

I've updated the BIOS on a couple of different Biostar boards, with files from both the European and the USA site, and for me they worked fine. Some of these older socket 7 boards are capable of running much faster than you would think. I had a MB-8500TVX that I ran a K6-2 on at 400 MHz. It wasn't meant to run faster than 200 MHz, but when you set the multiplier at 2 with a K6-2 (400 and over), it reads it as 6, 6x66=400. But the board has to have split voltage to support a K6-2. That board only went down to 2.8, and that is dangerously high for a K6-2. Poor cooling and a hot summer night finally killed it.

Back