• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium XE935 OC's to 4.1G, but can't OC upgrade of Core 2 Duo E8500 onsame mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks chaps,

I ended up spending a small amount on 4G 400MHz sticks. Building an arcade machine, and through replacement/upgrade now have enough for anohter machine with all the spares :)

Thanks for all your help, and hoping for no probs with the 4G sticks :)

.... which didn't work... grrrr - system more stable with the kingston sticks - even @ 333Hz!!! These others 400Hz @ 5-4-4-15 @2.1V - OCZ - good reviews when bought. Messed about with bios settings for a while. Gave up and reverted to the kingstons + now can't get my system runnign as stable as before I took them out. I swear - need to choose a less pedantic hobby!

Do a bios reset, via the jumper on the motherboard. Go in the bios and load "optimal defaults". This should set things back stable at stock.

Keep trying your overclock. make sure that pci-e is locked at 100mhz. There are no vcore settings in the bios, so, unless you want to do a vid mod, you might find 3.8ghz hard to get to.

Is you board a Rev 1 or 2?

Thanks Glussier. Did bios reset prior to new ram install. Didn't really help with getting it up and running at any significant speed.

I think my board's Ver 1.

There's the mystery with overclocking on this board. You can't change the VCore. I managed to overclock the XE935 by just upping the Clock speed. However, when I tried that approach with this CPU, quickly failed - not being able to boot. So, downloaded SetFSB, and discovered the only way to get it running faster was via increasing the PCIE value with the Clock speed. Put PCIE up too much to quickly caused weird crashes (network drops, funny squares on screen - guess pcie + GPU are linked). Also, increasing the clock speed before PCIE too fast also crashed it. Ended up having to increase both side by side.

Really is all beyond me. Would like this system running on the 4G 400MHz, because little more RAM, and just feels like it should be more stable and also lower latency times.

I've attached screenies of the bios settings can change. I know others encouraged sticking with the 333MHz, but the extra RAM tempted me (albeit only an extra 1.5G). All the feedback talked about how good this ram was to OC!

Would appreciate any advice. Lesson learned: choose your motherboard wisely!!

Thanks folks

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 19
Back