• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PentiumIII CPU temps, too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

I'm a newbie to overclocking and I've been playing with a couple of 600 and 850Es. I know pretty much you're shooting for around 28-29 C at idle and mid 30s under stress, which I can get with the Alpha heatsinks.

But I can't fit the Alpha P3125 cooler on the P3B-F so the 850E is running 33 idle and up to 47 C stress, with an aftermarket sink. Acceptable? OK? Isn't 42 C pretty hot?

VCORE is 1.85 and I can't go any lower for total 3D stability.

Yodums

Uhh, you can't fit the Alpha P3125 on the chip, so what are you using to cool it? It does seem too high. Intel rarely get higher than like 40 on those P3 chips, but unless your using some other heatsink, does seem right.

Try using AS3 and lapping the heatsink.

Yodumss

OP
C

Clevor

I am currently using an aluminum heatsink with dual fans. It's a pretty good setup since it has a copper insert, but it's no P3125. I am using Arctic Silver 3. I'm kinda afraid to do lapping.

I was checking the Overclockers.com database and a lot of the guys doing over 1 gig are using water cooling or Peltiers on this 850E, now I know why.

But I can run 3Dmark2001/2000 and IL-2 Sturmovik no problem at 47 C on this P3B-F.

I have a 120 mm fan blowing over the board, but not on the sink. I am going to reverse the fans on the sink so they are sucking and move the 120 mm fan over it, and maybe upgrade it to a 1.5" thick Sankyo Denki (heh heh). That might help.

Or I have a SeccII Golden Orb I can use. That might work a bit better.

OP
C

Clevor

Ducting will be difficult, unless I use two ducts, one for each fan. The fans could probably be upgraded (3/8" thick stuff). Also would have clearance problems since the fans point toward the DIMMs.

I get no problems running the Alphas (35 C stress), and I have good airflow (three 120-mm case fans, including two Sankyo Denkis, but it IS a 10-bay server case).

Think I'll try turning off the 120 mm fan; I think it's causing turbulance for the ones blowing on the heatsink.

OP
C

Clevor

Just a update: I couldn't believe it, but a Golden Orb pretty much did the trick. I stuck one on and the temp barely hits 40 C stress.

I tried two copper insert SeccII heatsinks, even tried reversing the fans and moving my 120 mm fan over it, and temps still hit up to 48-49 C.

I'd say a Golden Orb is maybe 2-3 C behind a P3125. Best thing about it is cheap and lots of clearance, even on a P3B-F board.